Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezyb_gw

What Do You Feed & How Often?

breezyb
19 years ago

Am just curious.

I currently just have one medium (30-gallon) tank containing three 3-year-old Silver Hatchets, three 3-year-old Long-Fin Leopard Danios, two Clown Loaches (one 10-years old (how great is that!!!), & one 3-years-old), & 3 Gold Wagtail Platies that I just purchased last week.

I feed twice a day. Once in the morning using commercial cubed frozen food that I serve by putting one cube into a fish net & run under hot water to thaw out & then run under cold water for a few seconds. Then swish into the tank. I alternate the varieties from day to day. Right now I have "Marine Cuisine", "Emerald Cuisine" (which has some vegetable components), "Brine Shrimp", "Bloodworms", & "Glassworms".

Then in the evening I feed a pinch of brand-name mixed flake food.

When I very occasionally come across live food, I will feed that in small amounts twice a day instead of the frozen & flaked, due to the short lifespan of live food.

Fish look great - & obviously are living out their lifespans rather well.

What do you all do?

Comments (12)

• drygulch
    19 years ago

I keep fish that refuse to eat flakes, so I feed live food (black worms and baby brine shrimp) primarily, occasionally adding some frozen bloodworms, although many of my fish even refuse these!

I generally feed adult fish once a day and babies twice.

• isis_nebthet
    19 years ago

My community gets nutrafin 2-3 times a day along with tetra crisps for the bottom dwellers (I have four different types of loaches and am considering a raphael cat). I give them some bloodworms on occasion.

My predator tank gets bloodworms 2-3 times daily with occasional plankton and/or krill (neither are a big hit). Red wigglers about three times a week. If there are feeders in the tank I add flake with the bloodworms (or shrimp pellets if ghost shrimp are the menu).

My hex gets a pinch of flake three times a day.

My 5 with ghost shrimp and baby apple snails gets about 5 shrimp pellets a day. Sometimes they just get a pinch of flake or spinach (I tried just feeding the snails spinach but it's messier than I like).

My pond fish get feed that the koi farm has milled. The rosies in the bog get the same just not as often.

Adrea

• breezyb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

May I ask you guys what fish you're keeping?

• isis_nebthet
    19 years ago

75 gallon community:
    2 giant danios, two gold gouramis, three weather loaches, two horsefaced loaches, two clown loaches, five kuhli loaches (one striped and four black), five platies, four mollies, five neon tetras, some guppies, zebra danios, whiteclouds, a glass catfish, a goldfish I haven't kicked out to the pond yet, a rosy red I can't catch to kick out to the bog, and a partridge in a pear tree ;)

7 gallon hex tank has babies from this tank.

40 gallon predator tank: two marbled gobies, three senegal bichirs, and two violet gobies (not really predators but they get big and eat bloodworms). This is going to be split into two tanks the gobies in an 8x2x2 lanscape timber/liner brackish tank and the bichirs in a 150 gallon stock tank. I'll keep the current tank for qt.

Adrea

• drygulch
    19 years ago

I keep mostly killifish, in the past, mostly dwarf cichlids

• breezyb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow - impressive tanks. Thanks for the info.

Like I said, I just have my 30-gallon for now, but have a brand new 55-gallon + fixings back in NY waiting to be brought down here to VA. Want to set it up primarily with Angelfish & just a few compatible tetras & bottom feeders.

• skygee
    19 years ago

I'm a two times a day feeder with all my tanks except the cichlids - which get fed once a day (I found they do better on once a day feedings) The other tanks are tropical communities or betta tanks!

Pond fish and koi get fed once a day. Plenty of plant food and algae for them to nibble on during the rest of the day.

• AshleyNicole
    19 years ago

i have one 55 gallon and one 30 gallon. They both get brand-name fish flakes 1-2 times daily and freez dried bloodworms (wich are actually insect larvae) about 3 times a week. I also drop the bottom feeder wafers from Hagen in, one or two each night. My 55 gallon has 5 long finned rosey barbs and 5 gouramis as well as bottom feeders, 2 clown loaches and a pleco. This tank also has all live plants, no UG filter, and a aqua-clear power/bio filter. The 30 gallon, has all fake decorations and a UG filter, but it has 2 angels, one kissing gourami, 2 orange plaites, 3 tetra's, one clown loach, and a pleco.

• isis_nebthet
    19 years ago

Assuming summer conditions I try to feed my pond fish (koi and goldies) 5 times a day. Right now they're only getting once a day though.

• pequafrog
    19 years ago

Five times a day sounds like four times too many. I would research that a bit, Isis.

-andy

• isis_nebthet
    19 years ago

You're supposed to feed 2-5% of a kois weight in a day. You either leave wasted food floating or feed them more frequently.

Adrea

"On koi farms in summer, smaller koi (i.e. below 15-20 cm/6-8in in length) are fed five percent of their body weight per day, where-as large mature koi (i.e. over 20cm/8in long) are only fed two percent. The nutritional value of koi food is calculated by weight and not by volume. Normally, lkg(2.21b) of fish food will increase koi growth by 500gm or even 700gm in favourable conditions. In the winter, provide wheatgerm based diets on a maintenance basis, in order to keep the body functions ticking over, since it is too cold for the koi to grow. Wheatgerm is also a good source of Vitamin E."

Here is a link that might be useful: quoted source

• skygee
    19 years ago

I feed mine once a day - but there is a lot of things in my pond that my koi also feed off of. They're not starving, believe me! I think environment and climate has a lot in the figuring as well.

But I also think it's how things work for people individually and their fish. Mine have been doing well - and (knock wood) I haven't been hit by any disease (last years deaths were entirely my fault since my fish were feeding off of toxic plants) for all the years I've been ponding (nearly 20 years now!)

Essentially I started doing the once a day feeding because during the work week, I leave super early (5AM) and get home late afternoon. I'm not home during the day to feed them more often.

And talk about koi - mine are finally starting to become more active! It's nice to see them coming up and swimming about. I do see the mutts have gotten bigger, too. (koi/comet crosses!) One is actually very pretty because he's a soft black with a white belly. But there's one who's really just mud brown and clunky looking! Oh well - I still love them all! ;)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert