Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Betta in community tank

Posted by AshleyNicole Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 05 at 13:11

Can i add one Betta to my 55 gallon community aquarium?

I currently have 5 rosey barbs, 5 gouramis, a pleco, 2 corey cats, a red tail loach, and a bala shark, and i want to get a clown loach as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Betta in community tank

mmm... Not sure if the rosey barbs will leave the betta alone? Don't they have a tendency to be fin nippers?

I have two bettas in a community tank that have been doing rather well - but I also have created a lot of hanging plant area for them to stake out territories and hide. They share a tank with non-aggressive gouramis (dwarf, moonlight and pearl), angels, glass cats, cories, clown loaches and a variety of tetras.

Do keep in mind that clown loaches like to hang out and school with their own kind. I think they're happiest in at least trios. To me, they also seem to thrive and feed better when they have company of their own kind.

o

My rosey barbs are long finned and they don't bother each other's fins, i have heard that barbs are nippers, but haven't had a problem with mine.. yet lol. I would love to add a couple of angels as well, but am afraid because of the rosey barbs. They don't bother the gouramis at all, which are all dwarf.

thanks for the advice on the clown loaches, will two be enough? my two corey cats seem very happy with each other

o

Well - I think two will at least keep other company. Mine are often piled up against one another in the little caves and crevices I provide for hiding. I guess what's so fun about clown loaches (which truly are fun fish!) is watching them school and zoom about across the bottom of the tank. When I've had clowns singly, they just don't seem as happy. But of course I'm probably anthromorphizing! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here