Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helen_3

First two weeks of the aquarium

Helen_3
19 years ago

Hi

Was hoping someone could offer me some words of wisedom. We set up our tank in January and about 7-8 weeks ago introduced 6 danios. Three weeks ago we bought 2 swordtails, 2 angel fish and two corys. Last week one swordtail got stuck behind the filter or so we thought and one angel fish bloated up stopped eating and died. It seems stupid now but we just though we had been unlucky and purchased another angelfish, swordtail, 2 mollys and 2 other which I can't remember the name of (yellow red and orange.)So far this week we have lost 1 angelfish the (older one) both swordtails and one cory and the other is looking dodgy. We have called the place that sold us the fish and they cannot tell us what we are doing wrong but the fish are dropping like flies. We are replacing about 1/6 of the water every 2 weeks cleaning filters in tank water etc but they are still dying. Have used an anti-bacterial treatment and have just done a partial water change but it isn't looking good. The angel fish became very bloated and struggled for air and one of the swordtail fish had a white fungusy thing around its mouth. We have taken the water in to the shop to have it tested and they say its fine!Any suggestions? We are getting despirate now!

Thanks

Comments (19)

• oceanbubbles
    19 years ago

Where are you buying these fish? It seems like they might already be sick before you buy them. How sad. Hopefully you can try getting your fish from somewhere else. A specialty fish store. The white fungus sounds like ich. Im not sure what makes the angles bloated.. I dont know if they can get swim bladder disease. Anyways, if your water levels are normal... I cant think of anything besides your buying sick fish from the store. Good luck!

• drygulch
    19 years ago

Need a lot more information.

How large is your tank?

What sort of filtration system are you using?

What's the temperature of the water?

How big are your fish (approximately)?

If you live in the UK, your water from the tap may be very soft. Do you know whether this is the case?

It sounds to me like you may have too many fish in your tank, but without more information, that's a wild guess.

• Minaku
    19 years ago

White fungus is not ich. Ich looks like salt crystals sprinkled over a fish's body. White fuzzy stuff is likely columnaris or true fungus.

• Helen_3
    Original Author
    19 years ago

In reply to drygulch some more info:

-The tank is 60cm long by 30cm deep by 30cm tall.

-Filtration is provided by a fluval 2 pump with the venturi valve oxygenating the water.

Water temp is just under 80 degrees f. (28 degree c)

-the largest fish is the remaining angel fish which is approx.7cm in length, the mollies are of a similar size (2of them), and the remaing fish are all smaller maybey 3 - 4cm in length.

Sure enough it's UK water but we have been treating it before putting it in the tank with de-chrolornater etc.

Hope that this extra info helps.
    Thanks for all your replies so far, REALLLY appreciated.

• skygee
    19 years ago

After you set up your tank in January... I'm assuming you did a fishless cycling? hence your delay in introducing fish?

• james_ny
    19 years ago

When you get the water tested find out the ph, hardness, ammo, nitrate, and nitrite. Your tank may be cycling, any sudden change in ph is deadly to fish. Don't add any more fish until after your sure the problem is solved. Make sure the ph in your water is close to the stores water.

• Helen_3
    Original Author
    19 years ago

In response to Skygee, we set up for about a month without any fish in it so the tank could stabilise hoping it would save us any of the problems we are having now.

Thanks for the reply james ny when we get the water tested again i'll ask them to check all those things.

• JoAnn2
    19 years ago

You did not cycle your tank by letting it sit there for a month with no fish in it. You needed to add something like ammonia or fish food to start off the cycling process.
    You also need to purchase test kits to know what your water quality is. If you are showing any ammonia or nitrite levels in your tank, its not cycled and your fish are suffering from these toxins and will die. You need to have PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits.
    Once your tank is cycled you should only have a nitrate reading and this reading determines when and how much of a water change is to be done.
    Once you get those test kits let us know the readings because Im sure this is your problem.
    How many gal's is your tank?

• Helen_3
    Original Author
    19 years ago

In reply to JoAnn2, we didn't put any food or anything in the tank for the 4 weeks pre fish so like you say it could be that it's not cycled, having said that the tank was not brand new it was from my sister who had it before me so the filters and the gravel etc were all cleaned but used I thought some of the bacteria would of remained in the filter pads therefore starting the cycling action.
    I think we are going to buy are own testing kits and stop relying on the shop testing it for us. I am sure like you say that our take must still be cycling.
    Thanks for all your replies (again)

• Cactopus
    19 years ago

I'll agree with James not to add any fish. While it may be a store problem, it sounds to me like you added more fish at one time than the bacterial colony could handle. You have to populate your tank in steps, and slowly.
    The fish could have already been diseased from the store, but the stress from ammonia overload could exacerbate their condition.

• skygee
    18 years ago

Danios are pretty hardy, and I bet you'll find that most of them will survive. Many folks will use danios to start cycling a tank. What happened probably was that there may have been bacteria in the gravel from when your sister used it - but by not having fish in the tank to keep the bacteria going (which would be feeding off their waste), the bacteria died... so essentially you were putting fish into an uncycled tank.

Sometimes fish constitutions are pretty strong. Do some small water changes (but nothing major or it'll take longer for the cycling to get going).

• Helen_3
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Brilliant thanks for all your replies. I think we agree that it seems that our take wasn't cycled when we thought it was and that is why the fish are dying. We are certainly not going to add any more fish for a good month or so and we shall also buy a testing kit to see EXACTLY what's going on with our water and monitor it on a regular basis. On a more positive front this morning the remaing alive fish seem to be improving (touch wood) the danios as you say skygee are hardy so they will probably be ok but even the remaining angel and the two mollies seem to of pepped up a bit.I just fed them and they all ate really well which I thibk has to be a positive sign.
    Thanks for your ongoing support.

• skygee
    18 years ago

Just a warning inre your mollies...

Most mollies are brackish water fish. They like salt (aquarium salt) in the water - and oftentimes don't do well in fresh water tanks. Sometimes you'll get the oddball molly that is able to adapt to a fresh water situation.

This will sound really terrible, but if you experience any more fish deaths, it will probably ensure the survival of the remaining fish!! But good luck all the same!

• AshleyNicole
    18 years ago

sound's like your angels got Dropsy (did their scales "pinecone" out?) I thing your problem is, you bought too many fish at once. Once your tank is cycled, you need to add one or two fish per week, and check your water weekely for ammonia, nitrites, these should always be at zero. Also, you should do a weekely 20% water change.

• Helen_3
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok some interesting results. I got a testing kit and tested for the following:
    PH
    Ammonia
    Nitrite
    General Hardness
    Carbonate Hardness

The Results:
    PH 7.6 (a little high I think)
    Ammonia 0ppm (good said intructions)
    Nitrite 0.2 (should be 0 I know but ok?)
    General Hardness 214.8 ppm (12 drops THIS IS TOO HIGH ISNT IT??)
    Carbonate HArdness 107.4 ppm (6 drops about right said test kit)

Could it be this high GH reading that is causing the majority of the problems. The test kit manual mentions using a 'water sofeniong pillow'to lower GH do you all agree this is a neccessary course of action?

Thanks.

• drygulch
    18 years ago

If I'm interpreting everything correctly, you have a tank of approximately 15 U.S. gallons.

After your third fish purchase, you had the following:

2 angelfish
    2 mollies
    2 swordfish
    6 danios
    2 cories
    2 "others"

If my math is right, that's 16 fish. Given the lengths you provided, that comes out to a total of around 28 total inches of fish.

The general guideline is to stock no more than 1" of fish per gallon of water. That's a general guideline, though, as one inch of angelfish is a lot more fish than 1 inch of danio.

My advice would be to cut way back on the fish population.

I apologize for reverting to inches and gallons, but these are the measurement standards that are meaningful to me!

Your water is neither too hard nor too alkaline for most fish, and is very good for the swordfish and mollies. I was initially concerned that your water might be too soft, and that a pH drop had been the cause of your fish problems.

• JoAnn2
    18 years ago

If you show nitrite then your tank is still not cycled. It's not OK because the smallest amount is toxic to fish. You should add some aquarium salt since you are showing nitrite. You need a nitrate kit.
    Unless you are having a problem with the Ph crashing I would not concern myself with the GH/CH test kit.
    Your tank will be cycled real soon.
    Good luck! and enjoy it.

• james_ny
    18 years ago

A .2 nitrite rading probably indicates the tank is starting to cycle. This is probably not affecting the fish yet. Make sure the ph doesn't change. The hardness seems high to me [I'm in USA]. Check the stores water [ph and hardness]. Fish can adjust to changes in ph but it must be over a long period of time. Water softener pillows work but is a lot of work/expense in the long run. Its easier not to fight nature and keep fish that fit your water parameters.

• Helen_3
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much to you all for all your replies. Some good news.........the remaining fish in our tank all seem to be doing fine now (even the potentially troublesome mollies!). I think with all your help we have come to the conclusion that our tank was obviously not cycled at all and we introduced way to many fish at once which would of sent the ammonia and nitrate off the scale (hance allthe dealths). We are slightly annoyed with the shop from where we bought them as they only tested PH and Ammonia in our water and also sold us loads of fish at once when the knew our tank was newley established!
    Oh well live and learn the main thing is that the fish seem ok now and we are enjoying it again.
    Thanks.

Sponsored