Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uninformed_kitty

Fruits and veggies

uninformed_kitty
17 years ago

I just got an apple snail the other day (my two "apple snails" are actually imitations, this guy's the real deal), and I want to make sure it eats right, as well as providing a good diet for the rest of my tank. Things I'd like to try giving it are pieces of apples, carrots, green beans, cucumbers, cauliflower, lettuce (whatever kind it is we buy), bananas, peas, and strawberries. My neon tetras will attack anything that even looks like food, so anything I put in for the snail will likely also be a meal replacement for them.

Are there any fruits or vegetables I should avoid? I plan to rinse and peel everything to get rid of possible pesticides. My attempts to Google info on it were met with food pyramid things. Too bad we don't have different words for pet fish and food fish.

Comments (9)

• organic_nut
    17 years ago

you might try this.

http://www.pufferfish.co.uk/aquaria/foods/snails.htm

this has many interesting places.

http://www.accoona.com/search.jsp?qt=raising+apple+snails&col=wc&charset=utf-8&la=en

you simply need to google correctly.

• littlehippygirl
    17 years ago

Here is a good list some one I know made: http://www.freewebs.com/airwens/snailfood.htm

What is the pH and gH in the tank? Apple snails need the opposite requirements of neon tetras: very high pH and hard water, or else their shells will quickly deteriorate. It might be better to separate him to his own tank (at least 2.5 gallons with a strong filter-5 gallons if he's a cana apple snail.) and raise the pH to around 8 with crushed coral or baking soda, etc.

Snail shells need lots of calcium, so feed things on that list with calcium frequently (don't pick dandylions unless they are in your own yard because there could be poison on them). Snails also benefit from Kent Liquid Calcium or peices of cuttle bone in the filter.

Hope that helps. Snails are fun. Take him out of the tank and play with him every once in a while. If you are afraid your neons will eat all the food, you can always feed them on a dish with tad of water in it-enough to keep the food wet. He won't bite...at least too hard ;)

• uninformed_kitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's a brig, so it probably won't eat dandylions, but I want to try growing some in a pot in my room. I can't trust my yard because my mother's husband could have added things to the lawn. Brigs like more rotting things, while canas like live things, so I've been told. Canas are illegal here anyway, and the store I got it from has religious owners, so I don't think they'd break the law.

I've taken it out a couple times to sex it and feed it a thawed frozen green bean. It either wasn't hungry, didn't want it, or both. I *think* it's a girl, but I really couldn't say for sure. It chewed on me the first time. XD

I found out that the pH of my water is naturally higher (I haven't tested it every day yet, but I'm going to), so I think it'll be fine without adding any pH changing products. I don't know about the gH. Hopefully I can get a test kit soon, and if I find foods it likes, I'll add calcium powder, maybe the reptile kind (I'm not sure which kind that's okay costs the least).

I'm actually going to give the rest of my neons back to the fish store so they can find new homes (assuming the store will take them). They don't really get along with my other tank inhabitants, and my pH is already too high for them, as it turns out. It's really a shame. Tetras are such nice-looking fish, but I don't think I'll get any ever again. They just don't coincide with what I want in a tank.

• littlehippygirl
    17 years ago

Well, hopefully its a brig ;) Petstores are often uninformed with specific species, but its pretty hard to tell the difference between a brig and a cana if it is not larger than 2" or is not brown or yellow. Its always possible. Clawed Frogs are illegal here to own without a permit but I ended up rescueing a couple from horrid conditions in a highschool classroom a while back. The teacher said a girl brought them in and said she didn't want them anymore, but I don't know where she could have possibly gotten them from since most in my state belong to labrotories.

I don't think adding reptile calcium to the water's a good idea. I've never heard of people using it, but if its specific to reptiles its not something you should add to the water since they are such different animals. Kent Liquid Calcium is the best way to go. It may be expensive, but its very, very concentrated.

Call local LFS's and ask if they'll test your water free for gH/hardness. Most use the Mardel 5 in 1 dip stick and gH is on there. gH is something that won't really change all that much so there's no need to test it often.

• uninformed_kitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I wouldn't add the powder to the water, I'd just dust its food with it. I joined an apple snail forum, and they have lots of recipes for healthy cookies for them and stuff. =^_^=

My snail is what I think is called "wild colored." It's a dark brown with even darker stripes, so it looks solid black until you get close. It's body is *so* pretty. It's black with these little red spots all over that remind me of fire.

• littlehippygirl
    17 years ago

It sounds pretty :)

Is the apple snail forum at applesnail.net? They really know their stuff so if they or any other specialized forum says its okay to dust the food with reptile calcium, I'd go with their word.

Mmmm snail cookies ^^

• uninformed_kitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yup, that's them. =^_^= They seem like a very close community. And they've got me wanting to breed mine... o.o *resists the temptation*

• littlehippygirl
    17 years ago

Send some over here! I'd love some of your beautiful snail babies :)

Oh I totally forgot about one of your original questions. Sorry, I'm such a spacer sometimes. Never feed your snails onion or avocado. These veggies are poisonous to most animals, so I'd imagine they aren't too good for fish. Be careful with citrus because if your pH isn't very stable and you leave it in too long the citric acid could lower it. Washing and peeling is a good idea since so many farms use pesticides and even wax.

• uninformed_kitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I wouldn't even feed myself onions or avocado. Yick. But thanks, I'll keep that in mind. =^_^=

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County