Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Care to conjecture on the life span of a blind black moor?

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 14:55

We've a blind black moor alone in a thirty gallon tank. It has been there for about three years. It is probably four years old.

Assuming proper care, would you care to speculate on how long it might be expected to live?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Care to conjecture on the life span of a blind black moor?

Well I suppose we'd have to define what we mean specifically by "proper care." Obviously we mean excellent water quality, which, for one of these guys even in a 30 gallon, would mean double filtration. And keeping him well-fed while not overfeeding and ruining your water quality will always be an issue. So if you do these things I would think he could definitely live about 10 years. And I'm sure I've read about people having them for more like 20 years.

But another factor with goldfish is what temperature you keep their water. As you probably know goldfish like cool water below 70 degrees. Anything above 70 is going to speed up their metabolism and subsequently shorten their lifespan. That's one reason that goldfish aren't terribly good community fish. Do you have a heater in their with him?

o
RE: Care to conjecture on the life span of a blind black moor?

Most interesting Mattc. The wife has taken filtering and feeding into account but we never thought about the high temperatures.

We've the winter heating programmed for 68oF days and 64oF nights and the cooling comes on at 78oF in the summer.

We have never even considered what the water temperature is when the air temperature is above 70oF. I will start doing some research. I've a digital cooking thermometer with a remote probe which will give me room temperature and water temperature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here