Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spongelingo

bizarre Bettas spawning

spongelingo
17 years ago

hi all,

I have this challenge about Bettas that I couldn't figure it out. Hope you can help me with so explainations. I've had Bettas for pets and breed them so many times in my life and this new experience was so strange and I couldn't figure out what had happened. I've got a good pair of Bettas that I was trying to put them to breed. The female was showing vertical stripes and I knew she was ready. I put the jar with a male Betta next to the jar with the female for like 2 days and they flared around pretty good. Then the 3rd day, I decided to set up a tank and ready to put them together and before I know, the female started laying eggs inside her own jar without having any contact with the male. I was so shocked about the whole thing and so I put both of them in the breeder tank. And the male did not have the bubblenest at the time. The female continoused to drop her eggs and they both wandered around looking for eggs to eat. I finally turned the light on and so the male began to chase the female. Shortly after that, they started mating and laying eggs w/o the bubblesnest. The female woke up before the male and came down picking up the eggs and spit them to the piece of styropoam I set in for nesting. The male did not pick up the eggs. And so, the whole spawning process was so bizarre. And like about 30min. later, the male chased the female really hard off the nest and she had to hide in corner even though her belly was still eggs inside. I frustratedly took the female out of the tank and leave the male there with some eggs in the bubblenest he's built while battling with the female. The next day, I checked on the female and I saw eggs sinking down in the bottle of the jar. She laid eggs w/o the male!! I was so confused with the whole thing. I did not check back with the nest yet, but I have a feeling that the male would take care of the saved eggs in the bubblenest

If you can help me explain this bizarre, I really really appreciate it.

thank you so very much.

Comment (1)