Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue rams

Posted by barbara_in_la So. Cal. (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 08 at 15:54

Does anyone know how big of a group these fish need to be kept in to be happy? I bought four, one died, and now have three. It looks like I might have two males and a female. (The coloring is different between them.) I'm wondering if I should buy more... Thanks in advance for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue rams

Rams are territorial. Do you have hiding places, juat in case?

o

Hi,

Yes, I do have rocks made into caves. I have two "caves," one on each side of the tank and plants scattered in the tank. I think I need to buy a few more plants.

Thanks for your help! Barb

o

You're very welcome! As long as you have enough places for them to hide or turf for territory, you should be fine. Perhaps one day they'll spawn.

o

Hi,

I thought I'd update this post and say that they have spawn! I just noticed the itty bitty babies.

Barbara

o

Blue Rams tend to be docile as opposed to other, more agressive species. You are very lucky to have them spawning for you. Is it hard to make photos of them?

o

It depends on how quickly the parents and babies are moving around the tank! I didn't check this morning to see if they (the babies) were still there or not...

o

I have grown marble angels myself in a huge tank, so I know how exciting it can be when you manage to grow a whole school of hard to grow species. A few years ago, I had a few hundred angels, so anybody who bought angels in LA, got it from my school. :o) I wish I had digital camera at that time.

o

Great job!

o

I feel lucky, but at the same time, I did everything I could possibly do to make sure that I get the greatest result with healthy fish population. I just had to sell them to stores after a while because my in wall, huge aquarium looked like one giant moving, black and white marble piece... It was an experience, and taught me another lesson in growing fish with professional results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here