Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tighebettalover

Weird Betta Behavior

tighebettalover
17 years ago

Hey y'all. I have a question about my betta. He has been laying on the gravel curled around a plant everytime I look at him. He comes up to me when he sees me, and he's eating fine, and I don't see any scratches or wounds on him. My other betta in the tank (with a divider) is fine. Any ideas what this might be?

Comments (39)

• uninformed_kitty
    17 years ago

Maybe he just likes to sleep there? Check on him a lot, and see if he moves around sometimes.

• tighebettalover
    Original Author
    17 years ago

He moves around a lot when he sees me, but everytime I look at him, he's curled there. I don't think he supposed to sleep that much......

• littlehippygirl
    17 years ago

Does the tank have a filter? If so, which side is it on and how long has it been running? If you have a test kit, what are the readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

If there is no filter, we only need to know ammonia.

Also, how big is the tank and how often do you change the water?

• tighebettalover
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't have a test kit, but I'll take it to the petstore soon so they can check. Yes, it has a filter, but it is on the other side of tank. It is a 2.5 gallon tank, and I change it every month. The filter has been running for about three weeks.

• littlehippygirl
    17 years ago

If the filter has only been running for 3 weeks it is most likely still cycling. Here is a good page to learn about the nitrogen cycle if you don't know what it is already: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html Its designed for goldfish, but its really the same for any freshwater tank. If you have any questions or don't understand something, feel free to ask. The ammonia and/or nitrite in your tank is probably very toxic in the tank right now. Bettas don't produce that much ammonia, but they are very sensitive to it, more so than most fish. Do a couple very large water changes to keep it down until you can get the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tested to confirm the problem. It might be a good idea to buy your own kit because while cycling, you need to make sure your water is as close to perfect as possible. When you get the water tested, make sure either you or the employee writes down the exact numbers, not just "good" or "safe" or "high". This will help us figure out how far along the cycle is.

Cycling with a betta generally isn't a good practice since they are so sensitive. If the test results show that you are in the middle of the cycle, I can tell you how to do a fishless cycle so your betta's health will not be hurt :)

So do some water changes :) Make sure you get the waste out of the gravel any way that you can. If you don't have a way to syphon it out, do a 100% water change and wash the gravel in a bucket of dirty tank water. If you don't already have a syphon, pick up the smallest size at the store, or buy some airtubing. This will make water changes much easier.

• uninformed_kitty
    17 years ago

I wouldn't really call bettas sensitive. When I was little, I kept one in one of those little cups with the glass beads, and he was lucky if he got a 100% water change monthly. (I thought cleaning the tank was just to make it pretty, so I didn't care.) As I recall, I didn't always treat the water. He lived for two years after I got him, and most people I know have had similar experiences with their bettas. Looking back, it was horrible how I abused him, but I'd say they're about the most durable pet I've ever had.

• littlehippygirl
    17 years ago

I guess it really depends on the betta nowadays. They are indiscriminately bred and mass produced now, that many are more sensitive than others. My own bites his own tail when hes stressed or just because. I believe its because of the mass breeding. Bettas are especially prone to finrot and related diseases because of their long fins. When I was younger, I kept a couple bettas in the same conditions. Now that I'm older and informed, I spoil mine rotten :D Either way, its best to try and keep the tank as clean as possible.

• uninformed_kitty
    17 years ago

"My own bites his own tail when hes stressed or just because."

o.0 Maybe he thinks it's food?

• littlehippygirl
    17 years ago

Lol I really have no clue. I've tried everything! It turns out this condition is becoming more and more prominant in petstore bettas. He sometimes does it after a waterchange, and once I tried keeping a small filter inside his tank and he gobbled up almost his whole entire tail because of any slight stress. I think feeding him a little more and leaving a mirror by his tank a few minutes each day helps a little, but he still does it without cause a lot. I think he does it out of boredom mostly. All I can really do is try and keep him occupied and stress free, and keep his water perfect to avoid infection. Before I thought he had a strain of re-occuring bacterial fin rot (it exists and is a terrible thing, but is rare) and he worried me so much! He's my special needs fish for sure lol.

• uninformed_kitty
    17 years ago

If he gets bored, you might try moving around the decorations or adding something like a small snail. Gives them something to poke at, and the snails don't mind. =^_^=

• littlehippygirl
    17 years ago

lol at the snail :P I thought about giving him a buddy actually. I'm just so overstocked with so many tanks its too much work right now. I've got a 3 gall filterless for betta, 10 gal planted tropical, 10 gal tropical QT, and a 15 gallon with rescued African Clawed Frogs. So those last two are temporary. I've also got a 29 gal that used to be for goldfish but too many things went wrong, and the fact that I couldn't find any goldfish in any stores that weren't half dead from parasites didn't help :( So I'll go back to goldfish once I move.

First I thought about getting a second small tank with a girl betta to keep next to him so he'll be busy. Then I thought of the snail, but they produce so much waste that I'd need a filter for that. He's pretty peaceful so I thought maybe I could try ghost shrimp since I have so many hiding places and a second compatible tank in case it didn't work out, but they are too sensitive to trace amounts of ammonia that could happen since I have no filter. I think the best bet would to divide a ten gallon in two with a girl on the filter side, but I have no more room for tanks. You should see my room its crazy. I have tanks on my couch!!!! I'm going to a college in a year and 20 gallons is the minimum.

Sorry about my yapping betta lover. I don't mean to jack your thread ^-^;;

• thunderxrage
    17 years ago

Wow, the person murdered the beta by flushing it down the drain.... There is a law of animal cruelty....

• bettanovice
    16 years ago

I am a new betta owner and my betta is also sleeping in the bottonm of his tank. I have him in a 5 gallon glass aquarium with a heater and two live plants. He was very active the first couple of days, but now seems to rest on the bottom more. He seems to eat fine and has been building bubble nests. I don't have a test kit, but when I set up the tank, I added something called "Cycle" to try to establish the proper nutrient levels. Was this a bad idea?

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

That would probably help. He might be living among his own wasteproducts and needs to have good bacteria breaking down Ammonia and Nitrites.

• bettanovice
    16 years ago

He's only been in the 5 gallon tank 3 days. He was very active the first day...swam all the time. Now he comes up to eat or when he hears me and swims around a little bit. He seems to like the same corner on the bottom or will even rest in the plants. He shows no outward signs of distress. His color is good and his fins are very long and pretty when he swims or flares. I am going to get a water test kit today to monitor the nitrates and amonia. Any other ideas?

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

It doesn't take ong for Ammonia to buld up, especially in a relatively small emvironment, with filter media that is brand new, not having enough time to go through the Nitrogen cycle. A happy betta is one that is at the top of the tank, building a bubblenest, flaring its gills at the sight of its reflection, and eating. In contrast, a stressed out one resides at the bottom, doesn't eat, and is listless. Test the water to see if this is the issue. Also, they leik temps around 80.

• bettanovice
    16 years ago

His tank temp is 80 degrees and the ammonia level is zero according to the bright yellow color I got when I tested the water and the test kit chart. He comes up to the surface when I come in and he seems to be eating. He blows bubbles when he comes up and has bubble nest(s) around the rim of the tank. He is also sleeping in the plants I put in the tank. He just isn't active. I don't know what else to do. He is in a 5 gallon tank but I don't have a filter on it.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Seems basically fine, then. I would provide a filter... and a female!

• bettanovice
    16 years ago

I treated the little guy's water with aquisol (for parasites) and gave him some crushed green peas last night. What a difference...he hasn't stopped swimming around-hangs out at the top of the tank and I haven't seen him lay on the bottom or in the plants. He built a huge bubble nest across one corner of the tank and even incorporated a piece of the plant in it (by accident?) He's like a new fish. Not sure if it was the meds or the peas. I don't know if I am ready for more bettas, this one little fish kinda stresses me out!

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Could have been coincidence, too. Either way, I'm glad he is acting healthy.

• lexie1397
    16 years ago

I wouldn't suggest adding a female betta to your tank, as a male can become obnoxious chasing her around until she gets too exhausted and dies.
    A male betta can live with most other types of fish though, and a companion might be good for him. Others can best instruct you on how to introduce a new fish to your tank. Even holding a mirror up to the tank for a while will give him some enterntainment. Fish are a little like birds in that they tend to like being in a busy room where they always have something new to check out. You may consider moving your tank somewhere more active.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

For the record, my reference to a female was in jest, an anthropomorphic attempt at humor. Not unless one has adequate hiding places and a female that is obviously egg-laden, with a white spot protruding from underneath, would it be wise to introduce one. I've actually bred them. They both need to be ready for breeding.

• bettanovice
    16 years ago

I actually had this betta guy in a 5 gallon community tank with a cory catfish and two head light tail light fish. The tank was heated and filtered and he sort of freaked out. We found him holed up in a shipwreck tank decoration! I wasn't sure if it was the current or the other fish that bummed him out. Hence the new tank without the filter or the other fish. I would like to add a cory catfish as I really like them and they seem gentle but the new tank doesn't have a filter. The betta seems healthy enough now and I do show him a mirror from time to time. I think he almost has as much personality as my golden retriever (but not quite!)

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

I would recommend getting a filter going because our fishtanks are all small representations of nature and they need the help that nature takes care of in the ponds and estuaries.

• otnorot
    16 years ago

After breeding bettas a few years ago I must tell you if your getting a female for company for him you had better make it two females as he will kill a lone female but if you have two then one can rest while he chases the other and dont have them in a bare tank you need plants then the females have a chanmce to hide,
    Bill

• bettanovice
    16 years ago

Well..after several weeks, my guys is doing very well. He looks great and is still building his bubble nests. I have treated him for parasites and fungi...not sure what he had but he looks great now. It is kind of sad to seem him all fanned out and looking great beside his bubble nest just waiting for someone to come along. I may read up about breeding bettas and when I get more daring, maybe give it a shot. I have enough extra tanks now that I can move the females out when necessary.

• organic_ayla
    16 years ago

I think your Betta is just lonely.

I have only (sigh) a 10 gallon tank but have a ruby red male betta, a turquoise female and a yellow female with him and there are no problems. I also have 2 cory catfish one of which has grown to 4 inches long, 4 neons (had six and 2 died) and 1 headlight tail light tetra (two died).

I know I need a bigger tank, and am saving up for a 40 gallon.

At any rate, everyone gets along and they are all very happy. When I get home from work, they all come to the top of the tank waiting to be fed. If I put my fingers in they will swim around them.

I think you need a couple of females or some neons and then your male will be happy.

• sherryazure
    16 years ago

One last word. Bettas today are most mistreated, and are often sensitive due to this treatment, bad breeding and kept in cold bowls (dirty often) at stores. Just because someone kept them in a small bowl (torture tank) in past does not stand for today. That is not their native environment, it would be like keeping you in the bathroom, never flushing the toilet ok once a month, and no stimulation. I do betta rescues, and see the end result of this treatment.

Read up on Desmond MOrris the Naked Ape et al and the abnormal behavior of animals as when zoos were horrible and inadequate. They go quiet mad. I think fish do as well in their own manner. Betta's when in larger tanks are like puppy dogs, full of personality, moving around, investigating. How do you heat and filter and keep the water chemistry in balance in such small sizes - you don't.

Read up on their native needs, and survival is not thriving. (back ground in prevet/ocean studies). Todays fish across the board, are over bred, have weaker immune systems and bacteria and parisitesare more resistanct to meds.

Keeping bettas in dividers causes stress (adrenal cortisol levels kept high which eventually weakens their immune system). They need their own territory for peace and lack of stress. YOu can card them for 'exercise' like breeders so (remove card in between tanks for about 1/2 hour or less)

They need plants just as they do in the wild or feel less secure ie can be seen. Plants provide for cleaner water, security and small unseen things to nibble on.

Cories need a school so not good for smaller tanks.

Some bettas do not do well in larger tanks, had to put them back into 3 gallon. Other fish, too much water movement, or too much fin movement over such large space. The fins are one celled thin, and in the wild short, so these are hybreds and not natural.

All in all, like all fish they have the same needs and just because they can breathe from the surfaced, does not mean they can sit in their own filth, have no stimulation, or too much stimulation and thrive rather then survive. sorry for rant, but when I read that 'I did it in past' and they are not sensitive, maybe person was not sensitive enough to see harm she/he was causing to the poor unfortunate fish. How would you possibly know if you have never seen them at their finest.

Best Sherry

• heather2321
    16 years ago

I have two bettas at my desk at work. I've had Ghostface Killah for about 6 months now, and Cheif Rocka for a little over 1 month. Killah was a perfect fish at the beginning, he ate, followed my finger and was a ggreat distraction from work. Rocka, on the other hand, had a difficult time in the beginning. He wouldnt eat his food, hid when anyone came near his bowl.. ect.

I found out that bettas are picky little buggers. Rocka REFUSES to eat the betta pellets (I;ve tried 3 different kinds), however, LOVES the flakes and blood worms. Killah would only eat the pellets... now the bugger wont eat anything.

So i did some research and found out that Killah is probably constipated. I've tried switching out his diet with blood worms (nothing), flakes (nothing) and pea (nothing... although Rocka LOVES peas and will carry his around like a dog with a ball). I'm starting to get a little worried about my Ghostface Killah... online it gives another suggestion, a salt bath. It says salt baths help break up the constipation and will HOPEFULLY save my little fish.
    Has anyone else heard of this? His salt bath is getting ready as I type... keep your fingers crossed and I'll let you know if it works.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

I used to work in a tropical fish wholesaler and my supervisor suggested using Epsom Salts for the rare times we had to deal with Dropsy. I haven't a clue is Epsom Salt would be appropriate for what you describe, but it reminded me of what we used for one ailment.

Did your source say what type of salt to use, like aquarium salt?

• Njthunder95_optonline_net
    16 years ago

I just recently bought two (2) beautiful betta fish(Bonnie & Clyde).Now i have much experience with this type of fish.Unfortunatly many of them died.I recently found out from a friend of mine that putting them in fresh spring water was a very bad idea. They are more likely to die in freshwater so any of you betta lovers think of putting them in freshwater dont't,put them in tap water.Another thing is that i have noticed one my betta's named Clyde is producing bubbles like crazyy.Now a long time ago i asked one of the employee's at a local aquarium why that happens & he told me its because the bubbles contain baby fish. But now i said to myself,Clyde is a male how can he produce bubbles.Can anyone help me on this one??
    One more thing to tell if your betta fish is a male or female simply just looks at its tail.If its long its a male & if its short its a female.
    DO not put your two betta fish in the same tank if you are possitive if they are both opposite sex.Or they will fight.

• scottf22_live_com
    12 years ago

My betta likes to sleep on a plant in it's tank but when i'm about to feed him i notice blood on it's side.I think its the plant but it could be really stressed out.

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

He is just sleeping....different fish have different amounts of time in which they like to be active. Some just like to sleep alot. I assure you it is completely normal.

• Lindsey8808
    10 years ago

I got a betta aka Bruiser, a little over a week ago. I got him from K-mart in one of those vases with a plant ontop. After doing some research i found out that this is a really inhumane thing to do to a betta. So i quickly went out, bought a 3 gallon tank, rocks for the bottom, plastic plants and a castle for him to hide in. Tank has a filter, bubbles, heater (which is at about 79-80 degrees) and chlorine and chloramine remover. Since i have had him i have never seen him eat, for most of the time he has stayed at the top of the water in the same corner blowing his bubble nest even when he was in the vase. For the last 2 days he has been hiding in his castle and NEVER coming out. Ive been doing so much research on how to help my finned friend. Wondering if its depression or he is sick possibly with internal parisites. I have yet to get a ph level and nitrates testing kit which is my next move. Can anyone please give me more advise???

• nature_freak
    10 years ago

http://www.google.co.uk/#gs_rn=21&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=11&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=anabantidae&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=anabantidae&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49405654,d.d2k&fp=8e4c90afc15472e3
    LOL. If he is building a bubble nest then that means he is receptive and should get a girl Betta. Remove female as soon as she has finished laying eggs or she will eat them and the male will kill her. Male looks after nest, fans oxygenated water over eggs, repairs nest, mouths them to clear up any fungus growth. Remove once hatchlings hatch or he will eat them. Habitat is silt laden water of rice fields in Far East.

• 4m4ndaPu6h
    10 years ago

I agree, I think Betta is lonely, like any other creature in isolation would. Get him/her a friend/companion. :)

• robbs14
    9 years ago

So just commenting I've had two bettas stop eating on my now and I don't know why I have a great tank set up its a 30 gallon. There are other fish in the tank guppies and tetras so its not water conditions. But I did add a plant and the following week lost 3 fish a blood fin tetra I got with the plant my calico bristle nose pleco and my first betta. If you know anything an email would be great :)

• robbs14
    9 years ago

So just commenting I've had two bettas stop eating on my now and I don't know why I have a great tank set up its a 30 gallon. There are other fish in the tank guppies and tetras so its not water conditions. But I did add a plant and the following week lost 3 fish a blood fin tetra I got with the plant my calico bristle nose pleco and my first betta. If you know anything an email would be great :)

• vito12831
    9 years ago

Do you have a Betta hammock? If not you should get one, they love it,
    It's a plastic leave on a suctioncup.
    Vito

This post was edited by vito12831 on Mon, Dec 1, 14 at 19:23

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville