Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherryinmaine

aquarium stand or filter

sherryinmaine
15 years ago

hi, I have a tank 47 or so gal. It's measurement is 3ft by 1 ft by 2ft tall.

I got it and the stand very cheaply. When I got home I realized why-- the stand is uneven.

I know it stresses the tank whn it's full of water, but dont have any other stand for it. The ones I see in pet store are made out of pressboard or some crap, and nearly 200 dollars!

I dont use a filter in there, because the hob one I have doesn't work since the tank is uneven.

I know all I need to do is find 2 shims, but dont have any, and it would require emptying or mostly emptying the tank before tank could be lifted enough to put shims under the corners.

the last 2 weeks have been really stressful, haywire and didn't get to attend to my tank. the last 2 weeks also have been much warmer in one of the warmest rooms in the house, where the tank is. The water was full of algae.

Lost a fish, but 2 or 3 weeks ago, noticed he wasn't thriving. My lack of care probably is what did it.

What do you guys do for stands? Or, is there a filter (a simple one) that can be used in a slightly off balance fish tank?

If knew how to build one, would do it.

Sherry

Comments (6)

• birdwidow
    15 years ago

Since the single most important thing you can do to keep your fish healthy is to give them regular water changes, the obvious solution now, would be a VERY large water change, especially as the poor creatures have been swimming in their own toilets for over 2 weeks with no filtration.

Water change them down to their dorsials and you should be able to lift the stand enough to get shims under it. You can buy a package of plastic shims in any home center for less than $3.00.

However, you also shouldn't be keeping any live animals if you can't or don't want to take proper care of them.

• sherryinmaine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks birdwidow, I'm aware of regular care. Have a dh just involved in a car accident- lived thru it with much pain, but also has cancer, heart disease copd & asthma.
    For 2 weeks there was a prioritization of what was most important---- please dont lecture me. I am aware of what my job is in regards to what lives in my home and outside of it.

I also have a family, a home, a job and numerous responsabilities.
    know how to empty a tank to their dorsals; didn't know that plastic shims were for sale at hardware store.

sorry & thanks
    Sherry

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    I think in your case I'd just start over break the whole tank down clean it out.. Be sure to level the STAND not the tank. Putting shims under the tank will cause even more stress to the glass. Put a level on top and be sure it reads zero in both directions. I wouldn't even attempt this with water in the tank. Getting it perfectly level is the most important step in setup. Will always save you a ton of problems down the road... Again shim the stand not the tank. gary

• sherryinmaine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, gary, plan on doing that very soon.

• birdwidow
    15 years ago

Sherry,

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to insult. You original post seemed so casual in mentioning weeks of neglect, with no explanation of why. We must always care first for our family.

As Gary wrote, level the stand, but if you are going to empty the tank and start over, after you shim the stand, if it's still not perfect, another cheap item you could pick up at the home center would be a piece of 3/4" thick styrofoam insulation, to lay on top, under the tank.

Once the tank has been refilled, the weight of the water will cause the foam to compress under any point that may be the least lower than another and make that last adjustment to absolutely dead level. It's also a good shock absorber.

• bragu_DSM 5
    14 years ago

Get a piece of angle iron from your local welder and see if that can be placed under one or two of the legs.

dkB

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH