Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ketel1

Medication, water quality questions

ketel1
19 years ago

First we added salt (.3%) per instructions given to us to aid our dropsied goldy. We were told to leave it for 14 days. About 7 days into it, I started an antifungal/antibacterial called Pima Fix. Had to euthanize dropsied goldy. Thought I'd keep the antibacterial going for the full 7 days as directed, for the tankmates, since I have now had 2 with dropsy.

I still have the salt in the water. Have done no water change.

Tonight I added the wrong antibacterial. I added MelaFix instaed of PimaFix.

Should I change the tank water?

Are the other 4 fish in any danger?

Comments (8)

• Minaku
    19 years ago

DO NOT USE AQUARIUM SALT. Use Epsom salt. Aquarium salt will make a fish retain water, which is not what you want to do with dropsy.

You need to do a water change right away. A full one, to get rid of all the salt. Often I see people thinking that they do not need to do water changes while medicating; this is not true. The best defense a fish has against illness is a clean environment. Just take out the activated carbon in the filter and continue doing water changes as usual.

Pimafix will not help dropsy; dropsy is not a disease, it's a symptom. Melafix should *only* be used to heal ripped fins and wounds and for nothing else. If you want to try saving your fish, do as much of a water change as you can, first. How large is your tank? I hope it's large enough that you can keep a goldfish and other tankmates, though you should keep only goldfish with goldfish because all other tropical fish will find goldfish temperatures too cold.

For dropsy, hit it with a heavy antibacterial such as Kanacyn (kanamycin) or any broad-spectrum antibacterial (gram positive and negative). Once again, I will state this: MELAFIX WILL NOT DO. It is used only to repair wounds and damaged fins. PimaFix won't help either.

• skygee
    19 years ago

If you have no other fish with dropsy at this moment - I suggest you look for medicated foods for your remaining goldies. I've found medicated foods have worked well to knock out whatever may be in their systems.

• ketel1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

We used pond salt. And I know what dropsy is. My dropsied goldy also had signs of a fungal infection on her head. (I thought it was ich at first but it was slightly cottony on close inspection). When ich treatment did nothing, we salted the water. The spots went away. But they came back and that's when they looked cottony. That's when I got the anti-fungal. She is gone now, I had to euthanize her. I have a 30 gal tank with 4 fantails about 2.5"-3" long. They are not overcrowded. Their water is at 86-88 degrees because of the treatments.

Should I start today with a 50% water change, and continue through the weekend? THe 4 remaining goldys show no signs of any illness. I was worried there may be an internal bacterial problem that caused the dropsy in the first place.

• skygee
    19 years ago

Start lowering the temps (raised because of the ich - right?).

I would do water changes, but would be more concerned by further stress put upon your fish that brings out further latent bacterial related illnesses.

I was able to pick up medicated koi food at the local petco. I do believe foster smith sells medicated foods as well.

It's hard when there are multiplbe things going on - knowing once one is treated, you need to treat other things that may erupt or be continuous. And then unfortunately, sometimes the stress with all these treatments and water changes don't always help, either!

Hopefully there will be no other "next time", but next time,I would isolate the ill fish and treat accordingly - that way your other fish who don't have symptoms don't have to be put through the stress of medication.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose fish!

• ketel1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, i hope I am helping them. We shall see. I did a 40% water change and am lowering the temps. I ordered both anti-parasite and anti-bacterial food for them.

Anything else? I will be gone for 2 days so they will not have any more water changes til Sunday earliest.

• skygee
    19 years ago

I can't think of anything else. Sometimes you can only cross your fingers and watch! If these are okay - maybe they're also just of stronger constitution.

When you get the food, I would only use it if you see that something once more is off (like sitting on the bottom of the tank). It could be that these fish that are left are perfectly okay. If you are going to use the food - start with one type only. Don't feed both at the same time.

Right now with the goldies you have left - are they active and swimming around?

• ketel1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

All 4 left are very active and eating and swimming. I had a scare with one after we euthanized the first goldy. He started swimming abnormally and had a hard time getting to food because of it. (BTW- he is a fantail but not eggshaped). He seems MUCH better. He still swims a little awkwardly but I think the heat, salt, water changes, etc is helping him, too. He never showed any signs of dropsy or ich.
    So far, so good. I will do another wtaer change today and check all levels.

• tempestq
    18 years ago

Hi, I have a fancy goldfish that has dropsy, we've medicated him for 6 days (marcyn 1 and 2), added a bit of epsome salt in a hospital tank, water changes every day, feeding brine shrimp. He still is puffed out like a pine cone and is on his back most of the time, although his color is back.

Should we do another 5 day treatment or put him in the nice big tank with plants and sand (probably better water quality, here and he loves sand)

when should we see signs that he gets smaller in size or is he not going to get better if he's not better now

Any one can help?

Sponsored