Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
profmonty

Is it too late for my betta?!!

profmonty
17 years ago

My betta has not really had an appetite for the past 3 weeks now, and hasn't eaten anything at all for a week. We keep trying to feed him by alternating blood worms and the Bio-Gold baby pellets. His fins do not seem to be working when he swims. He kind of flinches his whole body to move. His mouth is always hanging open for the pat 2-3 days as if to help him breathe. His gills seem to be working overtime aiding him in breathing too. Today I don't think he moved really at all. His color from his face is fading. And tonight he is on an angle almost sideways. Can anything be done? Please if anyone has any suggestions on how to help, please write me. Thank you!!!

alaina

Comments (15)

• woeisme
    17 years ago

If you have had the fish for a year or more it could be on its way out. If it is newer it sounds like a water quality problem. Water temperature should be 76F-82F. If kept in a bowl or "uncycled" tank and water wasn't changed at least once a week it is most likely "toxic" water. It would help to know some details, like:how long have you had the fish, tank size, heated or unheated, how often water is changed and how much are you changing, water test results if you have them.

As far as if it is too late, it doesn't sound good but you never know.

• skygee
    17 years ago

Also - with all the uneaten food, have you been cleaning it out when it goes uneaten? Even in a filtered tank, a lot of uneaten food will definitely decrease the water quality.

• pixel
    17 years ago

My betta looked really, really bad a few weeks ago, and he had been okay up until then. It turns out that his temperature was too low. I got a little water heater annd keep the temp at 78-79 degrees, and he pepped up within two days. You may also want to try a little live food it possible. Water fleas might perk his interest.

• profmonty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What kind of water heater and filter should I get? I have him in a bowl, I think it is 2 gallons with large rocks and a little pirate ship thingy in it. I have only had him for 4 1/2 months. The guy at the store said I only needed to change his water every 2 weeks. So that is what we've done. When we change the water we take him and some of the old water in a cup and set it aside. Then we wash the bowl with soap and rinse off the rocks and the pirate ship. Then we just added new water from the sink and added our betta with the water old water to the new. So it sounds like this was wrong.

• profmonty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, also what is this water kit testing thing I keep reading about? Should I get that too? And what is it called?
    I am going to go to the pet store today to get everything your all suggesting, I just want to make sure I am getting the right things. I don't think the people at this pet store know what they are talking about.
    Now my fish is swimming a little violently today. Is that better than lying still?
    THANK YOU to everyone who has responded! I really appreciate it!

• woeisme
    17 years ago

I responded to your email, will email you more info later. Skygee brings up a good point, always remove any uneaten food immediately. No more soap, the guy at the store sold you the bowl knowing there would be no filtration? The regimin he advised is for a filtered aquarium that is "cycled", more on that later.

• uninformed_kitty
    17 years ago

:/ It really pisses me off when people selling fish don't fully inform the customer on proper care. I hope that it isn't too late for your little guy. Bettas are tough, so maybe he can make it.

I would offer my advice, but it sounds like Woeisme's got it covered.

• littlehippygirl
    17 years ago

SOAP? Ahhhhhhh!!!!

Never ever use soap to clean anything that will go into a fish tank. It is very toxic. Do a 100% water change and jet spray everything with a hose if you can.

Also, are you using a declorinator or water conditioner to treat the tap water that goes into the fish tank? Your betta is definately suffering from water quality, most likely chlorine or other toxic yuckies in the tap if you aren't treating it. I recomend Prime because it also binds ammonia. You can add it inbetween waterchanges to make sure everythings fine. If you can't get to the store in the next 24 hours (try really hard to!) Set a bucket of water out uncovered for at least 24 hours. Most of the chemicals will evaporate, but its not as good as a dechlorinator.

I hope your fishy gets better :(

• profmonty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was able to make it to the store today to pick up some supplies, but not before reading everyones replies. My computer was down. Okay so this is what I got. They didn't have the water conditioner "prime" that has been suggested, either that or the sales man couldn't find it. So I got aquasafe conditioner by tetra aqua and betta fix remedy by splendid betta for medicine. I cleaned the bowl and rocks really good with Hot water and scrubbed with paper towels. I then added a little water pump filter. I added the conditioner and the medicine. I made the sure the temperature was good. Then I added my fish. Did I do everything right? I didn't buy a heater because I couldn't find one and the lady looked at me like I was being eccentric. But I think I am going to go to Walmart tomorrow and check out their tanks with the water heater included. I am so anxious to see if he gets better. I am going to wait till morning to try feeding him again. He still isn't eating. I bought a new pack of Bio-Gold pellets for him to try.

Answer to woisme: yes the guy did tell me to was with a gentle soap, and yes he did know it was going in a bowl with no filter he said they are durable fish and the water needs to be changed every two weeks, and yes he did say I can feed him up to 20 pellets at one feeding and not feed him again for 3 days.

• profmonty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is the first time I have ever been on this forum or website and I have to say this is the best one. I have never gotten so many replies from people willing to help me on this subject. So, really thank you. You guys are great!

• skygee
    17 years ago

That is the whackiest information I've heard about betta care in a while. Up to 20 pellets in one day?!!

Mine get fed twice a day - 4-6 pellets at each feeding. You do want to use betta pellets because the nutrition is set. Betta food is higher in protein than regular tropical fish food.

If the bowl is not filtered, you MUST change the water at least weekly. And these are full water changes. Best to age the water before doing any water changes.

Setting up a tank with a filter allows you to create an environment where good bacteria can establish itself in the tank in order that the tank become a more stable environment for your fish.

Keep soap away from anything that will have contact with the fish. Fish are extremely sensitive to soaps.

Bettas definitely do better with a heater unless you already live in a normally warm climate where the water temps will stay about 80 degrees.

If you can get some live brine shrimp, sometimes that will spur a fish to eat. If you are feeding your betta pellets and he is not eating them, you MUST remove them from the water. Otherwise the food will be rotting in the water.

• woeisme
    17 years ago

Simple Rule for feeding: only feed what the fish will eat in 2 minutes. Adjust the ammount accordingly. Since you just have 1 fish and are using pellets you can just feed him a couple at a time until he shows no interest. Bringing water temperature to a range of 76F-82F would also help. When water gets to cool tropical fish become lathargic and metabolism slows. This makes them eat less or not at all. Also the cool water makes them suseptible to disease and parasites. Getting a complete kit with a heater is a great start. Petsmart and Petco both sell Prime. Aquasafe is fine, Prime is just more efficient and you get more for your money. The bottle is smaller but treats more water then larger bottles of other brands.

• littlehippygirl
    17 years ago

That employee needs a kick in the butt <_>

• lexie1397
    17 years ago

Another thing to watch for is the type of not swimming. If your betta seems to be sinking to the bottom of the tank against his will, his swimbladder may not be working correctly. I got a betta the other day from a *very* reputable aquarium shop who was sinking to the bottom, then would fight up to the top for a breath then sink again. The shop dealer had me bring it back in; he took one look and said its swimbladder was bad.

• mysexybluefeet
    17 years ago

My betta has a sinking problem as well. I changed the water and added a new plant last week, and since then he's been sinking in the back end. I feed him one pellet once a day. I was a lil worried it was the cold the other day, but today it's hot as and he's still sinking, but worse. Yesterday i put some anti-rot betta treatment and it didn't help, in fact today he's worse. It's my first fish, so i'm out of ideas.