Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiger Barbs (lifespan)

Posted by Jane_of_The_Gable Co Durham UK (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 7:14

Anyone know what the average lifespan of a tiger barb is? I have had mine for about a year (originally I had 10 but 4 died, then acquired another 5) and the tank now seems quite healthy. I do not keep any other fish but prefer to keep them as a single species tank (20 gal) to prevent problems with other fish. None of the books I have read are any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiger Barbs (lifespan)

I have had Tiger Barbs live for 3 years in my tanks.

o

Thanks for that info. Was this a community tank? If so, what other fish did you keep them with and were they good companions?

o

The lifespan ? I can not answer but other semi-aggresive fish would be a possibility. Red tail or Rainbow sharks I think might be an option. Rosy barbs are very beautfully colored. The only problem is an adult tiger barb can grow to 3" and that will be a tight fit for very active fish in a 20 gal. You will have to trade them out when they become that size. Or get a bigger size tank. I have seen and heard of them being kept with African Cichlids but IMO I wouldn't because of the desired pH difference.

o

I have a 30 gallons tank and currenly filled with 10 Tiger Barbs, 6 Platies, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, and 2 Striped Raphael catfishes. They all are happily swimming together.

o

i have a tiger barbs in my tank and one of them got a red spot that looked like a zit on its head that kept his mouth from closing...its going down now...but can anyone tell me what could have caused that?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here