Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boutiquegecko

Goldfish filters & salt?

boutiquegecko
13 years ago

I did search filters, but came up with little on goldfish. I keep seeing in different places, not to use carbon or amonia chips in a goldfish tank. What do you use or have luck with? Also wanting to know about salt in the aquarium. Do I use it or not? I keep seeing different things.

We have two tanks-one tropical, and I've had a Penguin bio wheel for 6yrs with no problem, it's established, a great tank. We also had a regular comet in there for over a year and he lived quite fine and happy, until I made a stupid mistake and killed him by accident.

So, I set up a goldfish only tank a few months back and at first had an internal tetra filter, but wanted a better one so got another Penguin Bio Wheel. But both of course use carbon, and I keep seeing that it's harmful. But then I read others who have carbon in their goldfish tanks with no problem. So far our guys seem happy.

My boys chose fancy goldfish, so I know they are not as hardy as other types of goldfish. I just need to learn more about goldfish tanks, and am finding it hard to find a good web reference place-each one has something different.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio