Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aquarium in a Bathtub?

Posted by lizm (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 12 at 10:38

I have one fish remaining in my 20-gallon tropical tank (a pleco). I would like to dismantle the aquarium and use an old cast iron tub that I don't use for my aquarium instead.

What would be required to do this? I'm trying to think, how could I put my filter, that currently hangs over the top edge of the aquarium, on the bathtub? or is there another type of filter that would work better on a classic cast-iron tub? (free-standing Victorian type). Does every aquarium filter require electricity? (I have an outlet, but it would be more aesthetically pleasing not to have a bunch of wires coming out of the bathtub, not to mention less dangerous)

Do I need an aerator for one pleco?

Temperature is no problem. It's very warm in there all the time due to a water pipe.

Anything else I should be thinking about? is this just a dumb idea?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aquarium in a Bathtub?

Interesting - why not? Might look into small pond pumps/filters - I have one in an indoor stock tank but find that its too noisy- vibrates too much - fish dont like it. So, I too am looking for other options - something that could work.

One thing about using an old bathtub - every molecule of soap residue has to be removed bc it harms the fish, even very small amounts. The stuff commonly used to remove soap film could be hazardous too so Im not sure how you'd address that exaclty.

Caveat: I dont know anything about tropical fish - pond comets is about all I've ever had.

o

Hi
I assume it would be located somewhere indoors?? You could use an air powered sponge type filter. Would require only a single airline with the air pump located anywhere.
Do you intend to add a substrate ,plants other fish??
gary

o

Yes it can be done. You would need to remove all soap residues as mentioned earlier. You would want to make sure there were no chips in the paint as it would cause rust. I personally would run a canister filter using the drain and faucet holes in the tub. As far as the temp is concerned, the water will be 5-10 degrees cooler than the room due to evaporation. Let us know what you decide, if you end up converting it, please post pics. Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here