Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kosplath

Do Bettas mix well with other fish?

Kosplath
18 years ago

I recently rescued two bettas from a pet store (male and female) both are separated. I was wondering if they got along with other small fish, if so which ones? I would hate to rescue another and have no place for them to live if they didn't get along.

Also, would a tank light irritate them?

I've noticed a big change in the female. It's almost as if she doesn't know what to do with all that space! Vonnegut, the male is such a beauty though!

Comments (62)

• Glow_AZ
    18 years ago

Does anyone know...can snails be put in with the Betta's?

• james_ny
    18 years ago

Yes but the snails will multiply rapidly.

• lama
    18 years ago

I put my male betta in a 10 gal community tank, only to have him totally beat up on all the other fish. I came in once to find a neon sticking out of his mouth! At a later date I had a different betta, I actually had him in a large bottle inside the tank to keep him separated from my large goldfish. One morning I came in to find that the bottle had fallen over, the betta had got out, and the goldfish killed him. I haven't had any luck with my male bettas and other fishes, but maybe I just happened to have got a couple of the extra fiesty bettas!

• eileenaz
    18 years ago

Goldfish killed a betta? That's a new one. BTW- they should never be housed together because goldfish are coldwater fish and bettas are tropicals, but then at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant there's an arowana and some big fat goldfish living harmoniously in a tank there- go figure.
    My first betta spawn produced the meanest little SOBs I ever saw- one killed an adult gold gourami outright, and one of the females bit my finger and hung on until she was halfway out of the water. Later on I had a spawn of yellows live to adulthood in the same tank and nobody bothered anybody.
    Usually, bettas won't bother anybody that doesn't look like a betta (male guppies get mistaken sometimes) and if the tankmates are mello, nobody bothers bettas. Just make sure they're getting their share of food- that long drapey finnage puts them at a speed disadvantage sometimes.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Ancient Chineese Proverb- If fish fit into another fishes mouth. It usually will end up there.

• tired_and_hungry_hotmail_com
    17 years ago

My male betta is getting along with tetras, gold barbs, and a dalmation molly. He was a bit of a bully when I introduced him to his first tankmates, 4 gold barbs, but within a few hours he seemed to forget that they were there.
    I've added different fish since, and not once have I seen any aggression, even with my dalmation molly, who is constantly zig zagging into the beta's personal space.
    I recently added another tetra fish into the tank, and while he was adjusting to the tank in his bag, the betta would not leave him alone. He tried to attack the fish through the bag several times, and I thought for sure that the tiny tetra would have to go back to the store, but once the tetra was set free in the tank, the betta completely ignored it.
    I would love to see how he does with gouramis.

• luv2play655
    17 years ago

the male betta i had was in a tank with about 20 gouramis and they got along. the blue paradise gourami and my betta were always inseperable..lol

• sherryazure
    17 years ago

I have female in large tanks with on gourami.... LUV what type of gouramis where 20 get along? wow. I also have found (females only never tried with males as all are resuces and only one male now) that gourmais and bettas can do ok if enough space.

re: light - all things need light (vitamins, hormones, night day circadian cycles so on) so I assume you mean bright light in its face, not completely dark? If in place where indirect light is enough then would be ok, but plants maybe not. I use Annubius for bettas (most) as they can take simple conditions and very low light. Bettas love plants, sit in them, forage for things and algae, and sleep on them (butterflys of Asia) and or under them at night.

If you have appropriate light for size of tank (can be low) and live plants which they love and really appreciate as that is what their natural habitat (many diff wild types so for the most part) provide them. It will shelter them as well.

I have my one male in large 2 gallon (tried large he didn't do well) happy in 2 gallon round tall vase, plants and lid and low light from small eclipse tank not in use. Room hot so doens't need a heater (would not put heater in small sized tanks) and small attached filter (those small cartrige ones) was a resuce and doing very well after trying time with flexibar.

As far as roomates depends on personality and size. NO more room in that small of size tank... I tried a guppy with female (a real jumper so in huge round globe 1/2 filled with all as all tanks, filtered light (low) and low light plants. saw splasing and betta was chasing large female (males will get slaughters often due to tails) around tank she would try to jump to avoid and betta was jumping out after her. Out went guppy betta alone.

My best match was in 20 long and huge round 30 or more gallon globe, wood and plants low light. one betta (female) each with one gourami... both agressive and perfect match...One blue however was too agressive even for female betta.

so, have to try but larger well planted tank, with hiding places so on, will help a lot. Also remember esp with males and longer tales, that water speed difference have to be considered. some fish like faster moving water, they will get exhausted and possible tear down fins and wear them out.

• leechez50_hotail_com
    15 years ago

i have loads of snails i need to keep under control would a betta and a blue gorami be ok in my tank with tetra, platty's, guppys and clown plec's?

• yardfulofbirds
    15 years ago

I haven't kept an aquarium for a couple years, but I have successfully kept betas and tetras (neon tetras and head-and-tailight fish) and guppies all together in one tank. I never had a problem with that mix. Give the beta a little hiding place in the corner and the other schooling fish will leave him be.

• ellablackthornne
    15 years ago

I've been keeping fish for many years, and my male betta does wonderfully well in my community tank. "Shamu" is in a 20 gallon tank with guppies, swordtails, tetras, a pleco, a catfish, and a coolie loach. The tank is equipped with a light, a heater and a bubblestone. I highly reccomend keeping bettas in larger tanks. Shamu is so much happier than any other betta I've ever seen, and his color is spectacular!

• mic1012
    14 years ago

I have 1 betta, and 9 fantails in a seperate 2 foot tank. What would happen if i put it in with them? First of all i dont use a heater and The Betta is in a 2 gallon ( about 5.5 liter) bowl. if i put it in with my tank with 9 fantails which are well behaved will it go bad? 3 are around medium sized and the other 6 are small.plants and and small peices are there to furnish their home. i didnt know betta needed to be warmed so ill fix that i just wanna know what would be an informal response please. i would appreciate any response. Mabe it will be a reasonable reference to Kosplath's question. any answer would be appreciated. thanks :) ps. im aware that large fins,tails and nippy fish can be a prob, mine are 99% non nippi..Thats why i wanna know for sure. ty oscar wants to know :) ty from oscar and myself

• amcoffeegirl
    14 years ago

i have my betta in a 20high with several other fish.

catfish, ottos, loaches, 1 guppy, mollies, and a golden wonder killifish.

when the betta feels upset everyone backs off. but usually the female guppy runs the tank.lol.

you can always give it a try and if it doesnt work then its ok to take it back out.

breading bettas might be worth a try too????
    lots luck.

oh yeah in my other tank i have a dwarf puffer and a spotted leopard fish.....the big one is about 5 times the size of my puffer.......but puffer are puffers no matter the size...lol.

thanks.

• steen112
    14 years ago

i am wondering what specific types of fish do well with bettas also i have a female and am wondering if it's ok to put her in with another male i have gotten mixed answeres from everyone is it ok to mix them

• helenejk_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I save 33 Betta fish from Walmart! They wouldn't give me any discount for buying them all - even though these poor fish were barely surviving in cups stacked on top of each other and only half filled with water.

I need to know where to go to try to prevent this from ever happening again! SHAME ON WALMART!!!

• l_stough93_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have a male beta in a 45 gallon tank. Along with 8 neon tetras, 3 blood guppies, and 2 angel fish. The beta does seem to be bullying the other fish but he hasn't killed any yet. Then again ive only had him for one night now. Should i be worried? The guy at the pet store said that it should be fine as long as the beta has plenty of room. Is this right or should i be running back home to save my other fish?

• hotty2123921_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have a male betta. What type of fish would be good to put in there with him without them fighting or killing each other?

• ghettocracka88_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

im still nervous to put BF with another fish! He has been alive for a yr now, and has always been by himself. My 2 yr old daughter adores him, we just lost her guinea pig :(, and i dont want him to die!

Should i just let him be, or get another fish to accompany him?

Oh, and as for wal mart. I almost got kicked out last week for yelling at an employee because of the condition of their, not only betas, but all of their fish!

• nathanpieters_gmail_com
    13 years ago

My betta killed a frog. And yeah its a bit late but to the one who don't believe goldfish kill...I had a serial killer goldfish. He killed and ate over 30 tankmates and a few tropicals I was sick of until I fed him to the cat lol wanna see a betta flip? Put silver paint on the outside of your tank. It acts like a mirror and he will try and fight himself for weeks ohahaha!

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Bettas are fish that are best left by themselves. They do have you - his/her owner - to interact with.

• Grumpygirl13_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have a Male Betta Fish. I was wondering if I could put some Angelfish and a Bottom Feeder. And what kind of other fish I could put with him.

• reece.k
    12 years ago

Hi, after reading this blog I decided to try a bottom feeder to help with tank cleanup. I have a single male betta that has done well in his 2 gallon tank but there is always left over food on the bottom, so I thought a little catfish might help with the leftovers. So I introduce a albino Cory catfish. It havs been 24 hours, the two seem to get along fine, occasionally the bump into each other and the little catfish swims madly for a few seconds or so. But the betta only noses him once and a while. He is doing a fine job of keeping the gravel all clean.

• Stephaine6corona_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have a male betta in a glass bowl and he is always at the top of it. It's like he cant breath. Should I move him to a tank that has an air pump? Sorry for sounding stupid but don't know a thing about this kind of fish. He is really a sweet fish and I don't want him to die. Please help me what do I do?

• 1953Albert_windstream_net
    12 years ago

What type of plants do I put in with mixed fish in an outdoor 100 gal pond? Beta,gourami and bottom feeder. I have airation, Should plants be potted before being put in pond? Can I put more than one male betta in pond?What about the type of food. Thank you for your info.

• pjaxson
    12 years ago

no! whatever you do, don't put the fish together in the same tank. beta's are NOT supposed to be with other fish, whatsoever.

• Sergioroyal_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have a unique tank I guess. It's 30 gallons and in it I have afri grey frogs, 2 Betta fish, gold fish, and various tropical fish. Oh I also have a small shark. I forget the type. This tank has been this way over a year and I have no problems. At first I did monitor carefully but all is well. Not sure if this is unique but everyone is in harmony. I do have a video available if anyone cares to see.
    Take care everyone and good luck

• huongsamac_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Do not bother to try to mix Male Beta in the community tank...These loners like to be KINGS ...Their territorial behavior is known for...
    I have lost many females betas by trying to match them......The male beta kills mercilessly when they feel their territory is invaded even by a harmless female beta!!!
    Maybe, I am not good at being match maker for fish....
    !!!! Hi hiihii ih

• violet_2010
    12 years ago

I just sat up a 75 gal community tank (54 fish total) I use

(canister filter, plastic plants and plenty of hiding

places). I bought different kinds of tetras,

zebra snails, three danios and one small red male betta.

The betta was very calm and stayed close to the heater. I

left thinking they were going to be fine. When I got home

the betta was dead on the bottom and the rosey barbs were

tearing the fins off. The betta only lasted 1 day. I also

had two gouramis, I raised them from babies that my

sister gave me. They are doing great in the community tank.

Maybe I will buy another betta for my 10 gal tank.

• 2cute
    12 years ago

Bettas mix great with a small school of Neon Tetras, about 8-10 tetras. The tetras feel safe and not scared of the Betta. If you use less tetras, they can become aggressive if they feel threatned by the betta and might nip the bettas fins.

My male betta was in a 10 gallon tank alone, and loving it, then I floated a bag of tetras on the surface. He made some aggressive movements, but the tetras were safe in the bag. I left it there 1/2 hour, then betta lost intrest. Now both are in the tank, they even swim near each other with no aggression from either side. I plan to add 2-3 albino cories also. But put Lots of silk plants and few decorations in tank so everybody has somewhere safe to hide if they want to.

Prepare the water as needed for the betta, with water conditioner and one teaspoon (Not Tablespoon) aquarium salt per gallon. The tetras can handle this amount. Throughly dissolve the salt in some water before adding it so it dosen't burn the fish.

• Kebeling2012
    12 years ago

I have a Betta with about 20 or so other fish including guppies, danios, glofish, palties, and a shark. They get along just fine. My betta has been in the tank for about 3-4 months and has been doing OK. The only time that my betta is agressive to the other fish is when it is feeding time and the other fish steal his pellets, otherwise he doesn't mind them to much.

• fishgirl1998
    11 years ago

I have one male betta fish(named happy). I thought he seemed lonely (childish i know) But i bought him 3 friends; 2 neon tetras and 1 small gold fish. He is very happy with them and they all seem to get along fine. Although if you do do this you should have a filter because otherwise you would have to clean the water a lot.

Happy fish owning :)

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

Male Bettas do not go well with any other fish fullstop. It does depend on the fish though...There are cases where a male betta with no fins goes ok in a female betta tank as the females see it as one of their own and as it is the same size as the female it doesnt attack them (plus is is outnumbered.) I have had bettas for 4 years. Lights for the tank are fine, no lights are also fine. Some people say to get a heater for winter but really if you keep the tank inside they are fine. If you put small fish in a tank with a male betta it will attack/ eat them. Similar size fish will either attack your betta or get attacked by the betta (gold fish same size get attacked as they are placid fish whereas any cichlids will attack the betta) bettas can survive in small tanks (as they originally lived in shallow puddles in the wild) though as with any living thing the more space you give it the happier it will be. Over the time ive had them ive had them in small containers and vases to larger tanks on their own so anything you feel like setting up should be fine for them. Dont feed them too much either. They are prone to getting smomach infections caused from eating too much. I have lost a few to that. Also i had to medicate one for fin rot once. All its fins rotted off and never grew back. Shame as he was one of my favorites. (Bright purple with white fins.) but he did live for another year before he died. Anyway the point of this thread was to say whether they go with other fish. The answer is no male should be with another fish. A female can go with other fish and even lots of other females but never a male with full fins. Even in a tank of 100 neons a male fighter will go on a killing spree.

• melissa124
    11 years ago

Male bettas can definitely make great community fish. I always have one in each of my peaceful community tanks. I am watching my betta right now in my 55 Gallon. He is happily swimming around in his big tank. He is in there with angelfish, balloon mollies,guppies,neon tetras, polkadot loaches and a few small oranda goldfish.(the orandas are only in there temporaily while I get their pond finished.) My betta has yet to go on a killing spree, or even nip another fish. (He doesn't even notice the neons.) He flares at the balloon mollies once in a while when they go into his area, but thats about it. None of the other fish bother him either. I try to pick bettas that are more mellow and not overly aggressive. Not every betta will work well with other fish though. I have one betta that has to be in his own tank because he would just flare and chase the other fish and never relax. He has never attacked any of them, but I didn't want him stressed out all the time. I test the fish before I buy them by putting my finger on the cup and seeing if they are more likly to flare or be curious and I see how aggressivly they flare at other betta fish in the cups next to them. That's not a fool proof way to test them but it will weed out some of the overly aggressive ones. You have to find a betta fish with the right personality for a community tank, and there are a lot of them out there. A few pet stores that I have been to also keep single male betta fish in the tanks with their other fish without any problems. So it definitlely can be done and it isn't even that difficult. I think that people who say it is impossible haven't actually given it a fair try. Or tried it once with a super aggressive betta. I have had only one betta that didn't work with either of my community tanks. I have never had a betta kill any of my other fish either. I think it would be easier to add a betta to an exsisting community tank them to add fish to a betta's tank where he has already established it as his territory.

• suzieque
    11 years ago

Totally agree with Melissa. I have always had one male betta in a community tank with guppies, neons, platies, catfish, etc. I have never found a male betta to be agressive - ever - with a possible exception of when I've had other fish with flowy fins (veiltails, etc.). But even then, the bettas may look interested and flare a bit, but when the other fish don't react, the bettas lose interest.

I am right now looking at my tank with all of the above fish, including a magnificent red and ice blue half moon betta male and 2 angels. They are all happily feeding aloneside each other.

Pish-posh to those who say that it isn't possible.

• tammypie
    11 years ago

Bettas are best kept as solitary fish and they are quite content living life by themselves. After all, they do have you to interact with. That is all the companionship they ever need.

• jessy_23
    11 years ago

Hi,
    As far mixing concerned if you collect many fishes in a tank then obviously they will take some time to mix and as far betta concerned so its best to keep betta in a seperate tank as betta is a solitary fish because they can kill anything alive in the tank.

Here is a link that might be useful: UK best pet food shop

• RANJAN1985
    9 years ago

SERIOUSLY, of all fishes I've noticed bettas have biggest personality ....that means different individuality, .....I used to keep two pairs of bettas - RED & BLUE in two different 1ft tank ......I never had plans to keep them together in a single tank ......but all plans changed when I saw my friend have put two male bettas together in a large 3.5 ft long tank ......I said what the heck, I already have a even larger tank - 4 ft long and 2.5 ft high ......so as soon as I came to my home I put both pairs in that tank

But let me tell you, its a cosmopolitan tank with goldfish of 6 different types, paired 2 different angelfish, paired loach, paired .......a few snails

At first they certainly had problems .....and were attacking any approaching fish showing the patch of skin under their gill .....within a few days it was no problem for any of the fishes .......although both betta pairs lives at two opposite poles of my tank

I know its a bad thing but i have a habit of feeding bettas by my own hand ......I take worms and dip my palm into water and bettas come to eat from there .....they still do .....so i believe they're happy

SO ONLY TANK SISE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE .....in my opinion

• eileenaz
    9 years ago

Goldfish are NOT tropicals like the rest of your fish, they should not be in the tank with tropicals. Period. It's bad for everybody in there.

• CheriZ
    9 years ago

Personal experience - I have a 10 gal (20 gal split down the bottom in middle of night - will have to replace it - going with bigger tank) so for now I have a 10 gallon with a 70 gallon canister filter. Tank divided - each side has 1 male betta, 5 neon danios and a Siamese algae eater. Everyone is happy. I tried adding guppies (old tank) but the betta attacked him and the platy was hated from the moment he entered the tank and Harry killed him within 24 hours. Moral of story, get fish that do not have pretty tails and are fast. (the algae eaters stay at bottom, bettas at top but I do not think they will attack them anyway). I would love to put both bettas in a 70 gal tank but I am afraid they would kill each other. advice on this would be appreciated. BTW tank has plenty of hiding spots and one betta sleeps next to the adjustable heater (it is on his side) they ignore those betta leaf beds I bought

• Angela Obenchain
    9 years ago

Hi everybody,

I have a male betta and am thinking about adding a couple fish to the tank (5gallon). I read recently that tiger barb fish do well with betta fish. Does anyone know if this is true? By betta seems laid back and quiet. Thanks any suggestions on others types of fish that might work are welcome. :)

• User
    9 years ago

People SAY that Bettas don't mix well with other fish... but in my experience, they actually don't seem to mind company. One fish I know doesn't work will is Guppies because they actually chew on Betta's fins. They are fast enough the Betta can't keep up with them or out of their way... but mine was in with about ten guppies. Less might work ok. I've also kept ghost shrimp with mine and they all get along fine. I'd say try a tiger barb, or get maybe two or three neon tetras. But don't get too many... one Betta and four Neons would be pushing it a bit... they would probably be fine, but it's a little much for 5 gallons. Don't just get just one Neon though.. they wouldn't be happy since they are schooling fish. Best wishes in your fish endeavors!

• sherryazure
    9 years ago

Not sure why photos are so big on page and not a link but need to stop doing this and just posting... (ie did years of fish rescue and wish people would read real books on the subject rather then ask "yahoo" (you know what I mean). I will post links in another post too long.

Some of my photos when I had to sell my tanks, and rock sculptures (real rocks with "hang on back" type of structure - I have background in arts/arts chemistry and sculpture esp, along with biochemistry, and other sciences.)

Here is link to source for those HUGE globes (found on canal street, NYC plastics store, went out of business, looked online for years, then saw a light lamp and realize what they are... )

All had filters, heaters hidden behind plant piles - water in one looks cloudy but was crystal clear - biobugs from environmental source (for huge ponds so on but biologist there sent me a sample)...

The globe with Swords (sitting on chinese stand) these need anything with a small hole to sit on them) balance water when filling then stable. (put in place) There was ONE blue betta (only as I was giving them away) after I had four young blue betta sisters - from local breeder - - (heard my oops they often can live together) in that HUGE 75 and as they grew up

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21430834@N02/sets/72157624858489949/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21430834@N02/sets/72157626963975954/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21430834@N02/sets/72157622020140334/with/3809651178/

(they are shipped in horrific conditions, many dead on arrival, with
    water treated with meds (already stressed) then put in cold bowls most
    die (I would be at petstore cleaning up their bowls and would be there
    when they arrive - as well fish are sorted out on tables overseas before
    being shipped) Pet trade has changed from 60's when most all grown
    locally in greenhouses - I raised fish and would take them in to stores
    myself.

..............................................................................................

Here is some research from legit sources such as (books) zoology, and studies of fish, as well in their environment. (55 years background, pre vet/oceanography) and more, Health care (meaning I can study rx for fish (trickle down from people rx)...and much betta/fish rescue.
    Flickr photos of Bettas other (sculpted rock backgrounds)

Great book - Bettas, with a special Chapter: Tanks for Bettas by Barron's

Each species has very particular requirements, ph, temp, space and I am always stunned at how "advice" is given in online forums with most (not all) having no serious research or knowledge base (many great fish forums) - it's as if the blind are leading the blind and having rescued hundreds of betta's in NYC (about to be dumped down petstores toilet (illegal and cruel) I can attest to the end results.

Please go to any libriary or amazon and get some books on the subject - or links below. Seasoned breeders, merchants in the business.

As well, breeders keep young adult bettas in single bowls due to sheer volume and knowing most will be sold (Betta talk) but the rooms are heated, water changed many times a day and often with water conditioners in them... temporary housing. In native environments they are found in lakes, rivers, and always in heavily planted environments, even in the rice "paddies" of Japan (where I lived for 6 months) which are HUGE systems, with certain algae, mosses and other water plant forms (snails so on) growing in them, which is a great place for bettas. (until harvest time!) They entered into these systems from nearby rivers...

Fish, including Bettas when stressed (not what YOU think is stressful but what is stressful to them)... produce/release stress hormones. Putting two males in a tank - or in the ones with dividers which create huge fighting responses (stress meaning the are constantly releasing adrenal/cortisol interior and the other exterior) (which say to other fish - stay away from me)...and eventually this as the toxins they are, poison them interior, weakening their immune system, and the water as well.

As eileenaz states - goldfish (cold water fish) and tropicals (bettas air and water in native environment at leat 82 - although they are adaptable to 78 - air as well)... Goldfish as well need HUGE environments and although many falsely think a smaller enclosure creates smaller fish - in actuality their inner organs are stunted and misshapen causing pain and ill health for them.

They are as well "dirty" fish meaning copious waste, and like to "mouth" the gravel (which is part of their manner of eating) stirring up debris.

Bettas in the wild do not live in "tiny mudpuddles" (although there is ONE species that during dry spells lives in wet leaves and semi hibernate , some survive when the monsoon rains come, many do not - (many hundreds of types including some who "school").

In the wild the short tail is evident, the longer tail "gene" is bred for commercial purposes otherwise in the wild these fish being attacked and unable to escape another's territory fast would not make it.

Guppies (their bodies are often betta size now) with their longer tails (if fancy) are often viewed by Betta's as another betta - as well guppies have slightly different water requirements.

I had one female betta that was so agressive even in a 75 gallon, that she would attack cory catfish.

The best community fish are those that are in their native environment. I have had huge bowls (see photos, actually lamps up to 50 gallon) with Anubias on wood in the center (small heater, filter hidden behind, spot led from ceiling) with a school of black neon tetras (not true tetras) and they got along fine - wish I had taken a photo. The round shape meant endless "room to roam" and fish could go in and out of planted area.

Angela - Tiger Barbs (not a good choice at all - note on this site how many keep a few (2-3) stressed need bigger school and space more then five gallon. Why not just have lots of Anubias (same environment) which needs no soil, tied to wood, (conditions water for betta, make sure proper type) and one betta.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/tigerbbehf.htm

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Information.html

As you can read here at this great site - many health issues, and not good choice with betta - even if provided places for "them to hide" (why live a life hiding when in proper environment they would be out schooling enjoying themselves, or when stressed nip at betta - All fish need space (read Desmond Morris (zoologist, artist and much more) It was he and his book on aberrant animal behavior at zoos (horrific then and some now still along with road side attractions, bears, tigers in small dirty cramped cages) Just as animals display aberrant behavior so do fish when in the wrong environment NOT seen in the wild.

Schooling fish - one or two, three NEVER. These fish school for a reason (instincts) and in the wild these schools measure in the hundreds and thousands, catfish as well. They are ONE individual and should be thought of as one, or else they do suffer from stress. As well just because they are small does not mean they do well in smaller environments -

I had 6 - 7 black neons in a 25 gallon. (globe with betta). The old myth one inch of fish for each gallon caused a lot of suffering for decades. I rescued a ten inch pacu once from local PxtLxxd, in NYC - he was in a ten gallon tank... found someone who took him for outdoor heated pond - yeah for him, but I first had to heal his scalded body from fungus as the staff would run a hose directly from the faucets into tanks burning the fish often!!!

I have thousands of links - posting a few. (they do not come up in searches now due to placement money google so on).

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/

• sherryazure
    9 years ago

(from one of my emails sent to "can you help me with my betta) please
    spread this information as I can no longer spend the hours needed to
    retrieve it all again and again. And will be deleting my old Garden Web
    account (and this one). (from which long ago I posted my email).

I
    am adding photos of great set ups. (mine mostly and others, as well as
    rescued fish) Too long in cold (deli with door open while snowing in
    NYC, in those horrific cube (glass form with small opening at top,
    inches of dirty gravel - no need if not heavily planted (plants take up
    and convert left over food, poo, and urine in water) otherwise breeding
    ground for gram "negative" bacterial and water highly acid, (harms their
    gills as in all fish - hurts and fish do feel pain, esp delicate
    tissues just can not shout OUCH,) and tail, fin tissue one cell layer
    thin so bacteria easily enter in. Despite my best care they did not
    make it - most did not... Many did, and all went with tanks, plants,
    rocks so on, to good homes (and no I didn't have the income to do this
    but that's me)... Had to stop.

I am others worked on getting
    those tiny small bowls, cubes banned and I hear now Petland is not going
    to sale them anymore??? I got the district manager to bring in
    Anubias (monster mother plants normally found for 50 bucks for peanuts,
    as well as java ferns, ferns on wood now... and see they are in most
    stores now. Perfect for bettas.

....................................................................................................
    She
    mentions smaller sizes only because she knows many will do it anyway...
    larger is better as well easier to control water parameters

BETTA TALK (if you ever have the time to scroll through the betta's she breeds - beautiful! (and expensive)

http://www.bettatalk.com/

Betta
    History

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_history.htm

Betta Care (many links within links)

Water
    (I would not use salt, only when treating, and no aquarisol (meds) only
    for people who don't keep the water chemistry balanced.

Great info and photos of bettas and food care.

http://www.bettatalk.com/food.htm

I
    used to breed little worms and on occasion get brine shrimps (east 38 -
    good if you have more the ONE fish as they die off rapidly - a few days
    ok)

Variety
    of live or frozen....
    Unless you grow you own food (will send links
    much later) and easy to do once all is set up (for all fish big
    difference - they just go nuts with real food (like us)... live worms
    hard to find disease free - reason I use HIkari (sterilized 3 times)
    frozen (about 3 to 4 types rotated).

Mosquito larva (had some disappeared in freezer!)
    Blood worms
    Mix so on

Myself - I feel a softer excellent quality flake - one or two/three only - is
    superior to hard compressed pellot),

I rotate each day with diff frozen, in early am, and a few flakes (with greens in them best for "purging") at late afternoon.

That's all.

Any live bugs is a super treat!

No hard pellets, .(on occasion green steamed bit of veggie but if live plants will nip at algaes and bugs.

Wetwebmedia again (Bob Fenner breeder world wide expert)

(go to home to see all links -
    tons)

(I love how even here they say - "they began in rice
    paddies in Thailand - hmm, lets see, millions of years of evolution and
    man came along and somehow out of nowhere after learning about rice
    cultivation (rather then picking wild) the betta came along.

Obviously the bettas migrated into these huge fast hill step paddies
    from neighboring streams that as well fed these rice fields (have
    books amazing after all...built along mountain sides and one layer
    drains to one below in step fashion).

And once there set up shop. The wilder types are found in many systems.

An aside:

(This
    guy buys and sells fish (great guy swang by to buy wood/moss from me on
    way to airport to pick up fish/then back to NJ for fish forum speaking -
    busy!)

I sometimes look up the wild bettas - beautiful in their own manner
    and some of these people set up bio type tanks - some of the wilds are
    in groups even the
    males!)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anubiasdesign

Betta information page.

Wetwebmedia

Bettas, Siamese Fighting Fish

Siamese Fighting Fish, Betta splendens
    by Bob Fenner
    Improved
    (Better?) Products for
    Bettas!

by Bob Fenner, & FAQs on: Betta
    splendens/Siamese Fighting Fish
    , Betta
    ID/Varieties

Betta
    Behavior and Husbandry: Linking Betta splendens Aggression with
    Community
    Tank Preservation

by Lonnie Lindberg, & FAQs on: Betta
    Behavior
    , Betta Behavior 2, &
    Betta
    Compatibility
    Betta
    Compatibility 2
    Betta
    Selection
    , Betta Feeding,

Betta
    Systems... More Than Bowls

by Bob Fenner & FAQs on: Betta
    Systems
    Betta Systems 2,
    Betta
    Systems 3
    Betta
    Systems 4
    , Betta Systems 5, Betta
    Systems 6
    , & Betta
    System: Bowls/Tanks,
    Heating,
    Lighting,
    Filtration,
    & Water
    Quality
    , (See
    also:
    Ammonia,
    Nitrite,
    Nitrate,
    Nitrogen Cycling),
    Maintenance,

Diseases
    of Bettas, Siamese Fighting Fish

by Bob Fenner & FAQs on: Betta
    Disease
    Betta Disease 2, Betta Disease 3,
    Betta
    Disease 4
    , Betta Disease 5,
    Betta
    Disease 6
    , Betta Disease 7,
    Betta
    Disease 9
    , Betta Disease 10,
    Betta
    Disease 11
    Betta
    Disease 12
    Betta
    Disease 13
    Betta
    Disease 14
    Betta
    Disease 15
    Betta
    Disease 16
    Betta Disease
    , Betta
    Disease 18
    Betta
    Disease 19
    , Betta
    Disease 20
    , Betta
    Disease 21
    Betta
    Health 22
    ,Betta Health 23, Betta
    Health 24
    Betta
    Health 25
    , Betta Health 26, Betta
    Health 27
    , Betta Health , & Selected Betta Disease SubFAQs:
    Determining/Diagnosing,
    Environmental
    (By far the largest cause), Nutritional,
    Viral/Cancer,
    Infectious
    (Bacterial, Fungal)
    (Bloat, Dropsy, Pop-Eye, Fin Rot...),
    Parasitic:
    Ich/White
    Spot
    , Velvet;
    Senescence/Old
    Trauma,
    Genetic, Social, Buoyancy,

(Auxxx - another reason why more then 1/2
    change - and for one fish way to much, is a shock to any fish)... again
    1/4 twice week and gradual going back in)

Switching
    water or making water quality changes:

Anytime
    you change the water conditions (lower or
    increase PH, change bottled water brands) or switch from one type
    of water
    to another (for example from distilled water to tap water), you
    must DO SO
    VERY GRADUALLY or your betta might go into shock.

Even if he
    doesn’t
    pull a whole shock thing on you, he might get stressed, which will
    lower
    his immune system and will cause him to catch any bacteria present
    in his
    jar. A bad thing. So always take your time and ease him into his
    environment changes.

Make PH
    changes gradually over the course of a few
    days. The more abrupt the change, the more time you should take.
    NOTE: PH
    is often unstable and will
    “bounce” back up when you try to lower it. That is why I usually
    just
    add my PH down drops initially and then don’t worry about it
    anymore (I
    basically leave it alone after that).
    (don't bother with ph adjustments down - harmful - if lower great for them)

I try to match fish to water... but our water can change over the years (sometimes months)

http://www.bettatalk.com/water.htm

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_anatomy.htm

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_behavior.htm

• sherryazure
    9 years ago

Photos more links

Lampeyes - one of my favorite and only when I moved then as a school in a 75 gallon did they start to thrive and then breed (would move moss into another globe - learning how to care for babies with small mouths - Dr. Innes (from 1940's books I had saved the day - screened in water egg yolk - then had so many gave to huge santuary (plant tank) in china town - but losses as many have before I realized (read up) that as a school they would stress each other (top guy would pick to death all those below him until he was only one left) all schools need big spaces - some bigger then others.

Great amazing set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj6ebKF8eSY&feature=related

Aquabid (where I got tons of narrow leaf java fern "cheap" from guy with large tanks where it overgrew - photo of clear long 12 gallon - could not complete - was to have rocks continue up and out on right side -hidden filter, and "falls area" wanted school of black neon tetras - one of my favorites. (again not true tetras).

http://www.aquabid.com/

Swords btw are lower light plants (the huge globe on chinese stand - forest of swords did very well) need to fertilize all plants according to their nature. Bettas are found in heavily planted lower light situations not bright light... some fish as well do not have eyelids - I had timers on my lights to replicate dark, dawn and slowly bring up then back down so as to not startle.

Huge globes (still can crack but not like glass)

http://www.complast.com/balls/index.htm

http://www.complast.com/balls/GLOBES/index.htm

Superb site - look under Aquatic Articles on water parameters (ph, hardness) and so much more.

http://www.pbase.com/plantella/root&page=all

http://www.guppies.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=23

Biodigester site (great explanation of water quality) (one still even in best balance aquarium needs to drain some h20 off bottom and top off slowly same ph, temp so on, as in enclosed environment, minerals other things build up...

http://www.biodigesters.net/aquarium-products.htm

Aquariums
    are lovely little bits of heaven that have been proven to
    lower your blood pressure and heart rate; some claim they
    extend your life.

Anyone who
    owns an aquarium, salt or fresh water knows that constant
    care and maintenance is the key an appealing waterscape and
    happy healthy fish. Now there is a way to obtain these results
    without the constant cleaning.

Biodigesters
    are the answer

Biodigesters
    been specially designed to inhibit algae growth in aquariums
    by removing its food sources. Biodigesters (affectionately
    referred to as “bugs”) are a combination of all natural bacteria,
    lab grade purified enzymes with micro and macro nutrients.
    Biodigesters bacteria and enzymes are targeted to the food
    sources available in your aquariums water. Biodigesters can
    successfully attack, degrade, and liquefy fecal mass, undigested
    food, and other organics that contribute to a build-up of
    ammonia and bottom solids within the aquarium. Biodigesters
    condition the marine environments ecology, close to natures
    own.

Biodigesters
    microbes are reliable scavengers that thrive on organic mass
    (waste). As supplied they are in suspended animation (micro-encapsulated)
    but are revived when added to the tank. Shortly thereafter,
    they begin to digest excreta, excess food, oxidize ammonia,
    reduce nitrites, nitrates, and other N-Compounds and reduce
    odors.

Biodigesters
    proprietary blend of all natural bio-cultures and enzymes
    have been selected for their ability to effectively digest/degrade
    extremely heavy concentrations of organic mass within an aquatic
    system. Reducing those hostile factors that have been determined
    to be detrimental to the health and life cycle of both fin
    and shell fish.

• sherryazure
    9 years ago

From Rescue Work - photos from others, (decades of fish disease, treatment) by then however, bacteria have invaded arterial walls and takes massive measures and proper meds - much suffering and most do not make it.

These were found in snowy deli (door open freezing) got them all banned as health code violation (background City government/health department scholarship).

http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/fin-rot-and-fin-loss/

One person sent in. Kept arguing and after days of sending information, who knows... Columnaris looks like a fungus but is not - had noticed before tiny scale shifting... later became this very hard to treat but common disease... meds at pet stores often a mix of this that to hopefully get the correct target (without microscope hard to tell unless experience, the hard way, many fish dying)... Eventually I could treat many from petstore... but not easy and pharmaceutical meds expensive (guy would buy in bulk resell on ebay not sure now).

Another great site by Doctors of fish husbandry. (very helpful when I called even though a "small fry")

Ichthyology
    http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

Example of how round globes, with wood/plants (equipment hidden in back) can allow for much room to roam (round and round - endless and in and out of plants wood in middle).

Wonders of wood and moss - (moss keeps water clean, stable) bettas love to nip on miscroscopic "bugs" and Anubias (very small types as well) sleep on, hide under - not to be planted in soil (grow out of water part of time near waterfalls)... not true roots but "anchors" (to hold onto rocks, wood).

Great example of Nano Anubias - on wood -

• sherryazure
    9 years ago

There are different forms of Anubias and many sold in stores die off fast (not meant to be submerged at all) or grow several feet tall!!

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/amano.html

Nature Aquariums by Amano Takashi (idea source) but in reality not natural at all, some floating plants forced as ground cover so on and high intensive lighting and daily care!

http://amanotakashi.net/portfolio/nature_aquarium/index.html

Russian expert (link long buried) amazing information on this at the time "rare" to find plant. A few of the smaller ones on wood is all that would be needed for a healthy betta set up - 1/4 layer of sand for bio bug culture and that is all (hide smaller heater, inside filter) (hang on back WAY too forceful and I always used blue joint things with valve to slow water even with air types).

http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/articles/aqua/anubias_en.htm

You can see many outside water (they are grown in pots in high humidity greenhouses - they are submerged and out in nature depending on dry/rainy season but high humidity areas)... as they are placed underwater - they go through transformation. I would often rotate them out into terrarium once or twice a year to allow them to restore their (tubors) with energy (food for them)...

My 20 narrow long, CA redwood branches, rocks (granite) moss, and diff Anubias species - cory school (or one with black band) and orange betta until she went after them with a vengeance - then into her own huge globe.

Catfish school to lower right (love them) - there were more but somewhere out of view.

1 - Wood, Anubias (nano, narrow one hard to tell - see above link) beautiful set up for one betta, school of tetras or other suitable (same temp, ph, hardness, background) fish.

2 - Different of the smaller Anubias, nano, middle sized (sorry no longer keep and not up on exact names) Look on Ebay many sold there. (other American outlets as well but see them in Petland (petco???) all the time. Now.

Coffee (Coffeefolia or coffeafolia)one is superb if can be found wrinkle leaves and what I had in clusters in globe with betta (blue then) and school of black neon tetras).

My lamp eye (not Latin Name) set up.... simple bunch plants - hard at first but later (when I did research on them - needed huge space although small, started to breed to point of too many and gave to China town sanctuary).

Beautiful blue eyes.

Partial View school of Black Neon Tetras

Partial view of moss on CA Redwood (was found in outdoor place where branches were huge and had been wet for ages) bought from guy near Cresent city ca... great underwater wood. Moss

Different type of moss - beautfiul tetra set up (not mine) much better lighting then I could do at the time. Moss needs more light then one would imagine in terrariums as well. (and ferts in high light)... Val in background? Others (black neon tetra) and beautiful

• sherryazure
    9 years ago

Last one - (so I say but not doing any of this anymore due to having had to move, and wish to share links)..... I loved this hobby that's for sure.

(note some bettas sub types in the wild are schooling). (ones sold here are not).
    Small verses larger environments - not contradictory opinion below
    (seller of mho horrific products) long tanks dividers, no plants always
    stressed so on)

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2008/03/betta-habitat.html

As found on fish forum long ago....

Would you like to be kept in
    small elevator or bathroom with no toilet, food fed dry under door, or
    with so many others, you were constantly stressed, no room to roam
    (again Desmond Morris)...

I've had mine in both aquariums and
    "bowls" five gallon smallest but as noted highly maintained... depending
    on individual betta, one loved larger (orange long tailed female -
    where a male with the longer tail, unless shorter tailed wild) would not
    do well (tears tell, heavy to drag about). They did better in smaller
    size. (and smaller means no other fish - if so then need larger
    overall).

One example (mine)

Not
    mine but ok - too much gravel (future breeding ground for bacteria -
    even for plants way too much... and what's missing LID - lost a beauty
    who jumped through small hole in lid and landed in my long haired cats
    tail - while I was looking frantically all over for it - behind book
    shelves. As long as wet can survive a while... gave up - later brushing
    cat felt crispy (what I thought was leaf - poor baby!) so put plastic
    mesh over EVERY hole.

My
    gal loved to play in this rockly fall area in 75 she was FAST!!! - but
    tore her tail so healed it in hospital tank and in to other tank 20 long
    then her own globe.

Mock up...

Final
    - not completed... had to sell all when moved. Note hardly any sand
    (Dr. Foster and Smith great articles) only a 1/4 amount for bio cultures
    when no real plants in sand area. Narrow leaf java fern on wood.

Bettas
    in wild environements - no tiny puddles but wild caught (sold here as
    well, harder to raise) are being depleted in the wild. Many many fish
    to keep up with demand American, European other pet trade... used to be
    raised grown locally (when it was hard to ship by ocean).

(one
    person editor of fish magazine - in responce to betta tanks - around
    lamps, others now have toilet, sinks as aquarium, made all sorts of real
    footage of them in small areas, rice paddies, (and would say well
    notice they are in this small area - well yes, just as if we are sitting
    in chair at desk - but space around)... but I noted that unlike the
    highly vegetated natural environments and if wanted to could swim away,
    his tanks, had no vegetation (high light and exposure - fish feel stress
    when so exposed, can I be eaten) light over head and can't grow plants
    with lamp light anyway - on off depending on person not fish needs,)
    then VIBRATION - fish all fish intensely feel vibration.

That's the difference between someone marketing products (much experience as well) and finding supporting evidence.

These
    wild places have incoming, outgoing water. Smaller areas harder to
    keep stable. Then he sites breeders with small bowls (ugh) they are in
    the business of breeding them - too many aquariums.

He as well
    states they do not zoom about (well my orange gal sure did) and as any
    one will note when they are given larger spaces they are like puppy
    dogs. Swimming all over the place.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2008/03/betta-habitat.html

https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=ytff1-gl-gen1&p=videos%20of%20bettas%20in%20wild%20environments&type=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5PVB8ufaVM

Google
    Youtube videos of Amazon underwater videos to see many species in their
    native environment. The water is "murky" (tannin from wood, river
    current) but HEALTHY... (until nature takes over life cycles due to
    seasons, many die off as smaller pooled areas dry up, food for other
    species - floods come again).

Unfortunately many (as always)
    still wild harvested and in decline - including angelfish which are
    easily bred. Source of income for locals to "feed" the aquarium trade -
    (big lot pet stores high demand - many die in shipment so on).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzzJU810AIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or55cKUj8mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqnrwaRNJUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta35C488dnE

Great link for fish identification/and class/species. (needs) Hit fish image, then click Info so on...gets one started.

http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/tetras/index.asp

Images of Russian web site Toptropicals and different Anubias, underwater suitable and what can be done with them.

http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/articles/aqua/anubias_en.htm

http://www.amanotakashi.net/portfolio/nature_aquarium/

• Kristi Farrington
    8 years ago

I have a 25g mixed tank with angels, rams, Kribs, gouramis, various tetras, rainbow fish, white mountain minnows, male guppies, a peppered cory, and snails.Today, I introduced a STUNNING crown tail that is iridescent teal with blue and maroon. Right now he's in the back corner but has attacked a red skirt tetra - pretty much the tail is gonzo. The red skirts have very flowing tails and fins so I can understand the confusion. The red skirts are pretty territorial and can be a bit of a bully. In fact, they are my most aggressive fish but more in relation to territory. He's left the guppies alone. The angels and gouramis approach cautiously and have nipped, but I think it's more out of curiosity to the strange fins. No aggression otherwise. Initially the betta flared to every fish that approaches (that was neat to see), but it may be a matter of sizing up the other fish and to determine if they are a threat. As no other fish has responded to the flares, hopefully he'll idle down.

• Skye Arredondo
    7 years ago

I have two pictus catfish, 5 Mollies, one plecostomus catfish and my betta seems to get along just fine with everyone.

• markefosteri
    7 years ago

I have a 55 gallon tank with good,, strong filter water flow & a pair of Beta, 12 Platies, 2 medium Goldfish & 4 Tiger Barbs comfortably and living friendly in a 76 F degree tank . Everyone says no way! But they are happy swimmers together in this tank!

Sponsored