Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
princesserin777

any one selling their fish tank?

princesserin777
17 years ago

My boyfriend really wants a salt water tank, So i am looking at them. And is anyone selling a tank? I want a pretty good size one. I really don't know what I am doing. I just started looking into this stuff. I would love it for some help!

THANK YOU

Erin

Comments (12)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

I have none to offer, except perhaps a little guidance. You would want at least a 55 gallon tank, along with the usual hardline items, such as crushed coral, outside filter, protein skimmer, heater, salt mix, Ammonia/Nitite/Nitrate test kit. You will need to "cycle the tank to make sure the filter medium is capable of breaking down nitrogenous waste (ammonia, nitrite). To achieve that, once the tank is set up, you should buy a very cheap / expendible living critter, like a Black Molly or a cheap crab, to produce minimal waste products and get the cycle going.

Salt is way cool!

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    You should probably get a good book or at least visit some of the marine aquarium sites on the net.
    Sw tanks are more complicated and more expensive with many more options than Fw.
    IMO I's start with at least a 55 gallon reef ready tank
    even if you decide not to keep corals.
    One warning lol They are expensive for many reasons and though it is possible to cut corners they will run at least 3 times the cost of a fresh water setup.
    Do check out some of those site to get some ideas on which direction yoou'd like to pursue.
    gary

• princesserin777
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you guys so much!
    We have a 37 gallon tank. Do you think that we can do something with that right now and then in the future we are looking to get a lot bigger tank!

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

You can a little with a 37 gallon tank, but not a whole lot. I would start with one fish, just to cycle the tank. Damsesls and or Clowns are small, inexpensive fish to start out with.

• gwen-parker
    16 years ago

I am selling a fish tank! A 135 gallon Salt water tank. Served us great but now need the space. Stand and lid and lots more. Selling for $3500.00, which is half the original purchase price. I am in Ft. Worth, TX area and will only deliver locally. If you are interested and in the area let me know. gwen-parker@sbcglobal.net

• woeisme
    16 years ago

I would go with a set up called a FOWLR (fish only with live rock). You can cycle the tank with just the live rock. A good book is ideal, but I find that dedicated forums to fish are much better info. Below is a link to a site that has tons of how-to articles and message boards that are seperated by specific subject. Good Luck. i would really consider the FOWLR instead of just a salt water with just a mechanical filter as your filtration. The live rock will support the system much better then a standard filter alone. The 2 together will work out great.

Here is a link that might be useful: reef central

• Kindra Hobbs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a 220 gallon fish tank for sale.

• Kindra Hobbs
    8 years ago

For the tank, stand, pump, 2500. (Negotiable)

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yelp....he wants a saltwater tank...until he finds out that half the fish SOLD will never live long term.

• amymorgan7242
    7 years ago

I have 100 Gallon tank with stand I would like 450 for it if you look the you'll see that's a great price email me at Amy.r40@yahoo.com

• sarah potenziani
    7 years ago

I have a 150 gallon in amazing condition if your interested anthozoa28@yahoo.com

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!