Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heater question

Posted by pureza (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 05 at 15:23

I have a 1 gallon aquarium for my betta. Wal-Mart has a 7.5 watt heater, but it says it's for a 2-5 gallon tank. I know they say it's 5 watts per gallon, so I would like to know if this heater would be okay. I plan to upgade him to a 10 gallon tank as soon as money allows, so I could get a better suited heater. Currently he's on a heating pad, which is working, but I really don't like the idea of doing this much longer. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heater question

Im my opinion... I would not put that heater in there. In such small spaces, even a slight change in temp could make the water heat up too fast... therefore cooking your little guy! I would continue using the heating pad until you save up for your 10 gallon.
( Besides, the system your using now is working... So why take the risk!) But I am not an expert... So see what others say :)

o

OB is right, a 7.5 watt heater is too big for a 1 gal aquarium, OB is also right, wait until you upgrade him to that 10 gal tank.

o

Save the money you would have spent on a heater and get that 10 gallon. The heat could rise way too fast like the others have said, I wouldnt chance it.

o

Thanks, everyone. This just gives me more incentive to get that 10 gallon. I'm so concerned the heating pad will be a fire hazard.

o

Where do you live Pureza? I have a 2.5 gallon with no heater.. and these conditions are fine for my betta.. hes over a year old now. When I change the water... i feel the temp of the water and make sure its a little above room temp. Then I fill the tank. I live in CA so my house is always kinda warm... and if its not I have the heater on! ;) Anyways, the tank has a light built into the top that is the size of a night-light bulb. I think that also keeps the water warm too. Depending on your situation.. you might not even have to use that heating pad.

o

I live in Mississippi. We have a very cold house, central air is usually set to 72 degrees. Before I put the pad under him, he wouldn't do much. Now he's swimming around and seems to be happier.

o

I have 2 15w lights on my 10g tank. They seem to heat the water up about 4 degrees (Farenheit) during the day, but it takes about 8 hours to do that. Perhaps all you need is an incandescent light shining down on the water. Or into the side of the tank.

Recall the incandenscent (screw in) lights give off much more heat than flourescent ones do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here