Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying Fish, Please help

Posted by Girl_in_MT none (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 18:37

I have a well established 55 gallon tank that has been up and running for years. There was a mismash of fish, including 1 green cory cat, 1 columbian tetra, 1 penguin tetra, 2 long finned red tetras, and 5 red eye tetras. I purchased 3 fancy male guppies, 6 female guppies, 3 long finned red tetras and 4 cory cats 4 days ago. I acclimated by floating the bags of fish and then adding my tank water to the store water, then netting the fish and adding to tank. I have had almost all the new fish die except the cory cats who seem to be doing well (My penguin tetra died which is a total bummer, had him for years). The new fish look to have swim bladder issues and float vertically, then die. I feed only enough that they eat with none left floating.

Water testing yesterday yielded: Nitrite 0, pH 7.6 and ammonia .25. I did a 25% water change yesterday and changed the carbon in the filter and ammonia is now 0.

I know the ammonia was high, but would that cause the swim bladder like issues? I am at a loss. I have one of the red fin tetras in a quarantine with some methylene blue because I just don't know what else to do...he is floating around on his side and back.

I have included a picture of the tank, there is no undergravel filter and I do weekly water changes.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying Fish, Please help

any idea what the pH of the fish tank store water was?

o
RE: Dying Fish, Please help

I am guessing it is not the pH, as some of my older fish are dying the same way as the newly purchased fish. The older fish have been in the tank for over a year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here