Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sierra_z2b

More adventures of 'Popsicle'

sierra_z2b
17 years ago

Popsicle the goldfish with attitude, incase you haven't seen the other adventures.

I go to buy fish food and all the brands have change, I can't find what I have been feeding for the last year or so. Okay so not having a choice I pick up a variety of what is available...and hope that the fish with attitude will like what I bring home.

Fast forward to fishfeeding.....

I walk in the room and Sicle is dashing about as soon as he see's me. Splash SPLASH ...here we go again. Hey it takes a couple minutes to open these fishfood containers. I tell him this but he doesn't seem to care. He is Soooo demanding.

Finally I get all the containers open and lined up, and decided to give him some of the new flakes. He swims full speed up to the feeding corner...sticks his head out of the water sends me a couple of kisses and KER...SPLASH.....I get soaked. I drop the flakes in anyway....by this time he is at the other end of the tank. I go grab a towel to dry off...when I come back...he is swimming up to the flakes...takes one in his mouth and PETTUOOOEY....spits it right back out. Swims back up to the corner and splashes again. Pettuoooey again and again. SPLASH SPLASH SPLASH. Between splashes he swims out to the front of the tank to see what I am doing. I put a towel down on the floor to catch the water. Bad fish BAD BAD FISH!!!

The game continues. After about 15 to 20 minutes of this...I think he did actually eat some. I gave him two sinking shrimp pellets for dessert. A fish has to have dessert now doesn't he? These of course being new to him as well. He was off and swimming again.....This time he missed me when he splashed. haha.....Its amazing how fast he can get from one end of the tank to the other....but I was quicker this time getting out of the way. haha! He actually took both pellets in his mouth. I told him he was a piggy....I think he took offense. He spit them both out facing right at me....then dashed up to the corner and SPLASHED! He eventually decided he liked these shrimp pellets and ate both of them.

I think he needs to go to fish school. What do you think?

Sierra

Comments (10)

• skygee
    17 years ago

Yes yes! Popsicle needs some buddies to go to SCHOOL with!! Preferably in a newly dug out large roomy pond!

Heard it through the CarpNet - he likes little fish, big fish, blue fish, green fish! He even likes Sam I Am... (that's the big guy), but won't eat any goodies on a goat... maybe in a boat??

He also is very partial to gnomes... I mean to eat that is. He loves to gobble up garden gnomes. It's funny the messages that Popsicle sends over the CarpNet!

{{gwi:377079}}

PS - he also said he'd love some guppy groupies. He knows how guppies fawn over goldfish and koi...

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hee hee.....Its was difficult enough to just get him to try some new food. I'm not sure what would happen if a buddy was added. You know with that attitude an' all.

Yes YES, a buddy and new pond are still on the list...will have to see if that happens this year. I have to check one more place to see if they brought in healthy fish for ponds.....they sometimes do in the spring. They are a nursery not a fish place. Wish me luck!

Sicle doesn't like to float, so don't think he'd like a boat.
    He likes to SWIM, but not when its dim.
    He likes Sam I am, but forget spam.

Another An'gnome'ally.....Sam I am, also looks like he gobbles up garden gnomes. LOL!

How old do fish have to be before they can start school. hee hee.

Sierra....get back to work!

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

love it!

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ohhhhhhh no....

Sicle is in a pickle!

His colour is changing .....and he is complaining

A fish of white,
    might have to be polite,
    A fish of white,
    won't have to fight,
    A fish of white.
    Oh what a sight.

He prefers to be a sophisticated and debonaire, bright RED fish. (bright orange actually, but shhhh don't tell him that) :O

Sicle was red,
    It went to his head.
    He likes to be fed,
    but doesn't like his bed.
    And when his pet, Ned,
    was acting up instead,
    Sicle would do his alphabit to Zed!

Whats a fish to do, when red is said to be cool, and white is causing a plight?

Sierra ;-)

• skygee
    17 years ago

Poppy don't be soppy!
    Sicle don't be fickle!

Red is not cool, it's hot!
    White is bright, is it not?

Or is Sicle more nickel?
    Perhaps silvery copper on his topper?

I have a boy Koi
    Who once was white.
    Today his scales are black as night!

His belly is clean
    though, a very nice sheen!

So maybe ol' Sicle,
    Just needs a good tickle?

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I went to the store,
    to find some more,

thought I'd found a bud, (for sicle)
    but he turned into a dud,

A pretty shu,
    with lots of blue,

His fins were long,
    and right where they belonged,

the tank wasn't so clean,
    it had lost its clean sheen,

some others were sick,
    one had quite a tic,

I strolled away,
    oh what a day!

:-(

• skygee
    17 years ago

Wanna join us in our group hug??

{{gwi:377080}}

kiss kiss! the Koi Klub...

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Your fish look so happy and healthy.

I can't believe how difficult it is to find healthy fish here.....Sicle may have to stay an only fish forever. I'll keep looking though....

Do you have any Kohakus in your pond?

• skygee
    17 years ago

no... only big Kahunas!

heh heh...

Sadly, I lost my oldest Koi due to my own stupidity a couple of years back. I put a plant close to the edge of the pond that I didn't realize was not fish friendly. :( Luckily I only had two fish deaths from that stupid mistake - but both my oldest, the koi and the big female shubunkin (who reached about a foot long including the fins, the koi was about 18 inches long.) Since both of them really rooted around plants and ate them, it made sense that they would be the first to go. I cleaned up the rest of the fish (stopped eating, no activity, external infections visible) with green peas - which did the job of cleaning out their gut. I had my fingers crossed that there wouldn't be any fish deaths after that upcoming winter. Kept a heavy duty heater going in the pond the entire winter long (big electric bill that year!!) and they all survived.

The one in that photo with the big orange head is the largest koi - but not the oldest. The oldest in the pond is the black and orange - male. He's not huge, but I've had him since he was probably about a 2-year baby, maybe about 4 inches long, about 15 years ago.

The one in the middle with the orange cheek I "rescued" from Petco. Couldn't stand to see this gorgeous huge koi stuck in a tiny tank. Got him when he was already about 8 inches long. For whatever reason, they were selling him for a steal. Probably American bred.

The Big Kahuna - the one with the all orange head - is the largest in the pond. Easily 20 inches long - Japanese import and cost me a bundle when she was probably a 3 year old koi - about 5 inches long.

Behind Kahuna is a small shubunkin - only about 5 inches long including fins. I picked my last shubunkins a couple of years ago, just babies. Probably one year olds.

I do have about 4 mutts! 2 probably Koishus ;) the other 2 seem like crosses between the comets and koi - Comkoi? heh heh... They have flowy tails - One stayed mudblack, the other turned completely orange after about 4 years. The others, the Koishus, I barely can see. They are slim, and black with white bellies.

My latest addition is the butterfly koi that I've had inside for 2 years. He finally needed to go into the pond because he clearly outgrew the tank. I was afraid to put him in last year because any small butterfly kois I've introduced into the pond I've never had survive for some reason. I really got attached to the one I had inside. But this year, he's now easily about 8 inches long. He's finally settled in and is coming back up to the top to feed (after weeks of throwing slow sinking pellets for him to eat from the bottom since he refused to come up top to the floating pellets).

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh my OH my OH MYYYYYYYYYYYY.....I have just been catching up on some of the threads. :O

Hey Sky,

"only big Kahunas".......Hee hee.

Keeping fingers crossed your butterfly does well out there. They seem to be more susceptable to things.......keep us posted. You know I am sooooo jealous!!! I painted a patio stone with two Kohakus. Well at least I can dream I have koi, and these ones are easy to look after too. Don't have attitude like Sicle. hee hee

Sponsored