Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
localoca_gw

Betta seller, tank ideas

localoca
17 years ago

Hello there! I am looking for good sellers online (or even stores in Los Angeles) where I will be able to get nice bettas (not the $3 type from Petco, but the fancier ones) - can anyone recommend any resources?

Also, I want to get a tank that is taller (about twice as high that it is in length...for example height = 10in, length = 5in, width= 5in). Is it possible to find such tanks anywere or am I going to have to buy plexi glass from somewhere and make my own?

One last thing, I dont intend to have any filter or any external devices - only perhaps a heater for the winter. Will the tank be fine with real plants, snails, etc? Or am I going to need more "life support"?

Thank you!

Comments (3)

• uninformed_kitty
    17 years ago

One of my LFS's carries at least two or three different kinds of bettas. They mostly have those crown-whatever ones. I don't much care for the tails like that, but the colors they sell are the prettiest I've ever seen. My first suggestion would be to get a phone book and call around.

My 2-gallon hex is about twice as high as it is wide. Actually, 5"x5"x10" sounds about right for its dimensions. I'm not sure where you'd buy a tank like that though, so I guess you'd want to call around about that, too, and Google it. They were popular as heck when I was little. Dunno what happened to them.

All you need to support a betta and snails is a filter and heater. You're going to need a filter for the biological filtration, and especially for oxygenation. With your tank's surface area being so small relative to the total amount of water, there won't be enough gas exchange going on. The filter for my 2-gallon is a Red Sea Nano something-or-other that I got for like $12. I don't have a heater for it yet (no need, currently), but that'll only cost me $8 at most. Not that expensive. :) The filter is amazingly quiet, and on its lowest setting, it doesn't create much of a current at all.

I don't know anything about keeping plants except that you're going to need a light.

• woeisme
    17 years ago

5"x5"x10" is just barely over 1 gallon. You can get a hexagon shaped tank that size, but it is way too small or a betta, bare minimum should be 2 1/2 gallon. Using live plants is a good idea but plants should have some type of water flow to be healthy so a small pump should be included. The small setup you are trying to create is not a begginer set-up, it is for an experienced aquarist. If space is an issue Petco has a 6 gallon tank kit that can be placed on a sturdy bookshelf (it could weigh up to 60lbs. when filled with water and gravel/decor). However if you insist on this type of setup (the way you described)then the way to do it IMO is: Your tank with a compact fluorscent bulb, preferably daylight color or the highest "K" rateing you can get. A 25 watt heater with adjustable temperature. Do not skimp on this or get a "preset" mini-heater, they have a reputation for overheating and killing fish, get a quality heater like a stealth or jager. For plants get a good substrate if you are rooting them, I like what is called micro-gravels, about 2mm in size. A good water conditioner like "Prime", for dechlorintion of city tap water, as well as detoxifying other toxins that may be present. For a first plant I would start with a Java Fern, they are very sturdy plants as well as pretty. If you can't get them to grow, then you are doing something wrong. They will need a small piece of driftwood or a rock to root to. The roots of Java ferns do not get burried. A small, low flow pump to circulate water and keep the small tank evenly heated or the water temp even. Also the pump is necessary to circulate the water around the plant because the plant will be the biggest part of your biological filter. A small in tank thermometer, and a reagent test kit(s) for pH, ammonia (get the 2 part test) and nitrite minimally. Set up the tank with the plant for 2 weeks or more to make sure the plant is doing well. If the plant is stable after this time you can add your fish. The plant will utilize the toxins excreted by the betta. I still think a larger tank with a good filter is best for a first attempt. Check the link below before making any desicions. Also look at all the posts by betta keepers here to see where the mistakes are.

Here is a link that might be useful: betta info

• localoca
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hi there thank you for your replies. I used to keep bettas before in a small tank where i had some plants and everything went well but I just wanted some 'professional' input since the fish I want to buy now are far more expensive that the Petco fish and so I want to make them last! I will try to find an affordable filter. And yes I do agree a 10X5x5 in tank is too small. I plan to install one at least twice that volume. Thank you!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH