Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_gw

Territorial Chocolate Oranda

glenda
14 years ago

I have a 26 gallon, 2 1/2 month old tank.I Test the water and do about 25% water change weekly. I first bought 2 chocolate Orandas, one a bit smaller than the other and after 3 weeks I lost the smaller one and have since been trying to learn all I could about feeding and caring for them. I now feed "Smooch" only one in the tank, alternating of flake,Hikari floating pellets, a green pea and sometime a bit of orange or zugini slice. I have been waiting for the fish store to get in some more orandas and finally after 3 weeks they did, but a lot smaller, Smooch is about 2 1/2 x 5 inches. Beings they were so much smaller I thought the tank would maybe be okay for 2. Anyway , long story short, I brought the new babies home and Smooch did not like it. Chased those poor fish all over the tank, pushing them all around, like Get OUT!I called the fish store and she said to feed them and turn out the light and watch. Well..Smooch was not interested in that food, he just wanted those fish out. So Got up the poor things and took them back to the store and put my order in for one a whole lot bigger. Now do you think it will work out if they get me one about the same size?and I have no idea how much longer that will be , I have been asking for weeks!!!!!!! and by the way Smooch is black with an orange head and black markings on the face, do you know what kind of chocolate Oranda "he"? would be?

Any suggestions how I can make the introduction of another fish work out? They still have plenty of small ones?

Thank you for any help,

Glenda

Comments (5)

• birdwidow
    14 years ago

Glenda,

You are right in assuming the problem is territorial behavor and why it's always best to set up with smaller fish first, then introduce larger ones as the "invaders," at least when they are members of the same species. It also sounds like Smootch may have already become a spoiled, jealous pet; like an only-one-in-the-house cat.

You might need to resign yourself to keeping Smootch as an only, then teach him some tricks to amuse yourself. As he matures, he will get at least 50% larger and unless you also go to a larger tank, your 26 gal. will be the limit for one anyway.

But to the best of my knowledge, a chocolate oranda is a solid deep bronze color; nearly brown, not black and orange, unless yours is going through a color/marking change stage, as some Goldies will as they grow.

However, there are a number of websites devoted to Goldies and surfing them for information and photos of the many different breeds, varieties and colors will give you a far more qualified answer to the question of color and markings.

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    14 years ago

I've never known goldfish to be especially territorial. Sounds more like mating behavior to me. If he is swimming after them and pushing at their sides it is probably just a mating dance.

• birdwidow
    14 years ago

Clematis: That could be true, but I have experienced Goldies that became quite spoiled and territorial.

However, if Smootch was in fact exhibiting mating behavior, it was that of a male, so we would have to presume the new ones were females, but if so much smaller than Smootch, who is himself still immature; would he be courting them?

Glenda: Has Smootch developed any odd looking little bumps near his mouth?

• glenda
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello,
    By now you probably forgot the question!
    I've been pretty sick and just now feeling back in the norm....around Smooch's mouth I did not see any strange bumpr or anything and now I have a new happening! While sick I got a call from the shop that they were holding me another bigger fish! I hated to tell her I didn't want it so when able I went after it. Well, it is bigger than the last 2 but still nothing up to Smooch's size, and this is the color you mentioned , he's just like Smooch in every way but his coloring is solid chocolate ,kind of a amber brown. Now I wonder what "type" of Oranda you would call Smooch? I love that fish!!!!!!
    He followed this one kind of like he did the others with the coming from behind and bumping and such but I thought it might be okay until about 4 days ago...new fish showed all the signs of a swim bladder thing with the side ways swimming and being upside down . I got him out, put him in the little 10 gallon and started feeding nothing but the peas and even tried the grain of epson salts in one! I had been alternating feeding peas with other food in the bigger tank but he didn't show any interest in the peas until I got him by hisself, then he would eat them. I put another filter in this tank , no gravel and as for as poop I really cannot see any but he doesn't look as bloated and he is swimming better but still doing the swimming thing occasionally so what do you suggest now?
    I did get some fish remedies to have on hand but haven't used anything else yet?
    Glenda

• roscoboss1
    8 years ago

As you say glenda , these fish are hard to track down , i am having similar problems myself , but perseverance is the key. I had a red and white and found a perfect sized redcap and they are the best of friends , they actually bully my poor other fish together now !!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting