Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a plecostomus live in a pond?

Posted by lizm NY (My Page) on
Sat, May 15, 10 at 21:10

Can it? it's the only indoor fish I have left. I have a small pond outside with three small goldfish in it.

I understand that the pleco cannot survive a New York City winter, but could it withstand the summer in an outdoor pond?

thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a plecostomus live in a pond?

yes. we have them living in the wild down here in Florida. They get MUCH bigger than you think though. Somewhere around 2 ft or so.

o
RE: Can a plecostomus live in a pond?

I agree with you--it would do well during the summer, but it would probably die in the winter. Could you keep it in the pond and then take it back to the store in the fall before it gets cold? My pet store is happy to take fish back if they appear healthy. I recently exchanged a 8" pleco for a 2" pleco in the classroom aquarium. The kids thought the pleco shrank overnight!

We put a large pleco in our fish pond one summer. It was full of algae stuck on the sides. That fish really cleaned the pond! Caught him in a net in the fall (not easy) and took him to the pet shop.

If there isn't much algae in the pond, you might have to continue feeding him.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here