Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Betta in serious trouble

Posted by alexis z8FL (My Page) on
Thu, May 11, 06 at 22:05

I have a problem with one of my betta fish. My female betta fish had trouble with ich. She had only two or three white dots on her body yesterday night. Now she is covered with them. I gave her some Wardley anti-ich treatment stuff last night that was for parasites and fungus. Now I have her in a separate container with some of the green metha something stuff. The water is slightly blue. She was swimming earlier this afternoon. I added a pinch of aquarium salt to the water. I changed the water a little at a time and added some warm water. The fish improved and swam a little more, with some of the parasites getting off her. Then things got worse. She had trouble swimming but still swam straight. She took a gulp of air and then stopped moving. She moved her tail a little bit an hour later. Now her color is starting to fade (about 1/3 to 1/2 her body). But her body isn't deteriorating. Her eyes are in okay shape. I think maybe she gulped in some water (only a little bit). It's like she's in shock or comatose. Is there any hope for her or treatment I can do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Betta in serious trouble

Well it doesn't sound good. Sorry if this sounds stupid but are you sure she's not already gone? Are the gills moving? Anyway, I would remove all treatment with a 100% water change in your hospital tank.If you are filtering the tank, replace the activated carbon (A.C.)or add some if you dont use A.C. normally. The ICH treatments you used are really heavy duty, last resort treatments. They can sometimes do more harm then good. I am not saying that is what the problem is in your case, but often people have complained about other illness and death after treating with stronger medications like the ones you used. I have had great luck just using salt and turning up the heat when treating ICH.They are also quite toxic to humans. Some have not had this luck and resorted to the stronger stuff. I guess it deppends on the strain of ICH or the health of the fish itself. Hope everything works out. Check this article below for future reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Treating ICH

o

The betta (Morrocan Beauty) didn't make it. She died early this morning. I think she went into shock due to the fact I changed the water too quickly from what I thought was warm in temperature and added the cold water too quickly. I now have a bottle of aquarisol that can be put into the water as a preventative. I also think the ich got resistance to the medicine since the ich came back from earlier occurence.

o

Alexis, the best prevention for disease is proper care and good water conditions. Get a 10 gallon heated filtered tank and do a fishless cycle (I can help you with this or refer some good articles from other fish sites). Auqarisol and other meds should only be used as a last resort and for treatment only. Aquarisol is copper based, not the right source of copper and aquariums can be disasterous. You shouldn't have to premedicate your aquarium for it to be a healthy place for fish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here