Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floating Lettuce

Posted by bellegallica z8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 0:39

Hi,

I'd like to take a clump of floating lettuce from a pond outside to put in my aquarium. How to I clean it to make sure I don't bring any critters in that would kill my indoor fish? I was thinking about putting it in some tap water for awhile. Would the chlorine in the tap water kill all the bugs?

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floating Lettuce

Hello
You can put it in a solution of of bleach at 10 to one for about an hour. This is generally safe for most type plants.
You'll find WL very light demanding. Unless you have HID lights I doubt it will live long.
gary

o

No it won't. Bugs are pretty hardy and the chlorine in the water is miniscule enough that it probably will have no effect on them at all. Most bugs are visible enough that you can rinse them away under a stream of water. Remember there may be bugs that are the water type and then the plant type (like aphids or mites).

Is there a reason you want to put a pond plant into your aquarium? Do you have enough room between water line and light? Water lettuce blooms and can grow quite tall with enough light - and also can get rather large.

o

Thanks for the advice.

I was wondering if lack of light would be an issue.

Do you guys know of any small floating plants that wouldn't be so light demanding?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here