Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairy_toadmother

good news and bad!- aquarium is NOT 48 x 18!

fairy_toadmother
17 years ago

hi there. long time no see, eh? spring semester and the growing season has kept me busy.

i am a new proud owner of a 110 high aquarium. yay! dh finally picked up my christmas present. dh made a beautiful,finished yet rustic stand for it. well, everytime i researched, the footprint was listed as 48X18. my understanding is the footprint is the outside dimensions.

oh no! we get it one the stand, and the ends extend past the stand, lengthwise, 1/2 to 1"! the glass is 48x18 and the frame is larger. the stand is 48 x 24.

can the stand still support it, especially if we put a 3/4" thick board under the entire frame? i can't believe it!

Comments (2)

• woeisme
    17 years ago

Yeah, I think you will be OK. Usually DIY stands are even more sturdy then commercial built, well the affordable ones anyway. The weight will still be distributed evenly, and the slight bit it overhangs shouldn't make it too wobbly. Christmas in June, awesome. To be sure you can get some 3/4"-5/4" plywood or stock and make a "frame" on the back of the tank to hold the overhang of the new extended top. What are you going to put in it? 110H sounds perfect for a SW reef. Lighting would be $$$$ but you could always start out as a FOWLR and get the more expensive stuff next Christmas.

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

the "frame" is a great idea woe! and thanks for the reassurances.

well, i am still going the freshwater route. my poor angels that have been relegated to the 10 gallon tanks for the last 6 months, one being a veil! one thing i have noticed- my veil was smaller than the pearl. it now looks larger. there are two explanations, well maybe more. before my cories died, it was getting more food than the pearl. also, my veils tank has the light for my plants. it is pretty crowded in there from all my small to medium sword plants. well, a light for my 25gal sitting on my 10 has created lots of green algae that my angel eats. ok, that is only one explanation- better nutrition.

anyway, my plan is for my angels to go in the 110X. i certainly hope all this room will stop my pearl from beating up my veil. hopefully add to that 3-4 discus, a pair of rams, some kuhli loaches, (and i would love corydorus barbatus but they wouldn't like the higher temps), and possibly a top feeder of some sort- hatchetfish?

the lfs, a more reliable one, has some discus there and i see a promising future. i will have to ask if they treated the water diff than the rest. they are swimming, hanging mid tank and follow when you pass. i was amazed! all good color, no shyness, nearly begging...there was one off by itself a bit but still not hiding. oh, and they seemed awfully relaxed considering the lack of hiding places. no corner hugging at all.

anyway, this isn't definite. i also need to rethink my lighting situation for plants. i also have a sump since that is what was at the store, canister filter, and i'll be darned if i forgot the plumbing kit.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012