Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dumb question, but necessary please advise

Posted by bizzarbazzar 3/4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 30, 06 at 1:20

OK, I have had aquariums in the past and through several moves and the fish I had eons ago when I was 21 have since passed away. My son found a snake and we bought an expensive 55 gallon super heavy glass tank for this snake. Well the snake passed away 2 weeks ago. My 4 year old want a fish. In that tank. Is it possible to sterilize the snake aquarium for fish? If so, please tell me how. I will then buy the filter for it and other aquarium needs. Please let me know

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dumb question, but necessary please advise

Hello
You can just wash it out with dilute vinegar water just as you would with a new tank. You might want to fill with water and see is it leaks before stting up for fish.
gary

o

You may also want to use a strong bleach solution, at least 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. Get a powerhead or pump to move the water around for a day or 2. Snakes and the rodents they eat can foul the tank pretty good from urine. Just a precaution, may not be necessary. This would also help tell you if the seams are still in tact and can hold water. After the bleach, rinse it well and sun dry it for a few days.

o

Thank you both for the info. Afetr Mirakaih (the snake) passed away, we dumped the bedding out and rinsed the tank and filled it with water to see if it leaked... There were no leaks noticed, but I knew there had to be more to clean it. I will do the bleach or vinager (I am sure I have one of the 2 here at the house) Thanks so much again

Heather

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here