Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanted: Low Light plants that my goldfish will not eat

Posted by smb1_sunshinegg z7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 15:28

Hi,

I currently have a 29 gallon aquarium and a newly establish 75 gallon aquarium. My shubunkins goldfish spawned with Comet goldfish in Dec. 2007 and the eggs hatched the day after Christmas. Now, I have a ton of baby goldfish that are apart of the family.

The problem is that the parent fish are 6'' in length and dig and eat all of the plants that I have purchased for the tank. The only lasting plant is the lucky bamboo. Which is not really meant for aquariums. I would prefer to have live plants verse having artificial. However, it is getting quite costly to keep purchasing plants that the fish use as food. It's not that they are not getting any food, believe me they are, it seems that they are just greedy. It beats me how they seem to destroy them in as little as two weeks.

Would anyone be willing to help me out with some aquarium plants? I have a nice establish garden and am willing to trade for durable, quality, low light aquariums (see my tradelist). In my request for low light, I do not have a grow light bulb on the tanks, just the standard florescent.

Thanks for reading and providing any helpful information.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanted: Low Light plants that my goldfish will not eat

For a low light plant that Goldies won't touch, I don't think you can beat Java Fern, that also does well in cold water tanks, but don't use fishing line to tie them to logs. I learned the hard way that the lines eventually stretch and create a deadly trap for fish.

It took some web searching, but I found large, SS staples and used them to fasten the fern stems to rootwood logs and ended up with a nice little forest of them in my 130 winter Wakin tank. They are currently sitting on the bottom of a 3 ft. deep, black walled, 350 gal. watering trough/fish tank, where they receive very little light and are doing fine.

Fixing java fern to logs also allows easy cleaning, even if you keep gravel in the tank, as you can just lift them, ferns and all, then plop them back down. I usually remove the logs and rinse them and the ferns under running water when I clean the tank, to remove any crud that had accumulated under them.

However, it takes patience to grow Java Fern. They are hardy and given mimimum care will last forever, but are very slow growing. You are unlikely to find them in any LPS, but most internet aquatic plant sellers have them.

If you feel impatient and are willing to pop for instant masses of green, indulge, and buy what growers describe as "mother plants." Large, but pricey.

o
RE: Wanted: Low Light plants that my goldfish will not eat

How much extra room do you have to keep a quantity of plants available? You can buy Elodea in bulk by mail.
One bushel is only $68 + $5 packing fee. If you live in Wiscosin sales tax is added.That is alot of plants! You can plant heavy and the gold fish will not eat them all but you can easily replace with the extras that you can keep outside in tubs of water.
If interested you can fax Wildlife Nurseries Inc. for a copy of their current price list: 920-231-3554
Incidentally I am not a rep or otherwise tied in to them. In fact I am still trying to figure out where I could place other plants they offer out in my yard for growing in a pool that I want to raise Florida Flag Fish in!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here