Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celly_gw

Where can I get a fish bowl heater? Plants; live or silk?

celly
16 years ago

My betta 'marbles' lives in a one gallon fish bowl. He is very happy but I do not have a heater or filter. It is summer now so his bowl isn't going below 60, but I would like to get a small heater if possible.

Are there such a thing as a little heater that would fit nicely in a one gallon bowl?

Also would it be beter to have a live plant or a silk one? Since it's not a big bowl, I do a full water change weekly, so I need a plant that is tough and will be okay with being de-rooted. Anyway if you no of a free floating, but sinking plant please tell me. And I would like to hear you opinons.

Comments (10)

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

What are the dimentions of the bowl? You may be able to fit a submercible heater in it.

Personally, I prefer live plants and my favorites are Water Sprite and the 'cheap' plant bulbs that are hardier than anything and even produce flowers.

• woeisme
    16 years ago

A live plant would serve more purpose since the bowl has no filter.. Watersprite is an easy plant and grows fast. It may do OK in a bowl. Java Fern is a good plant, not too demanding. They do have bowl heaters, but I would stay away from them. They don't shut off if the water gets too warm and usually overheat small tanks or bowls. You could get a small 5 gallon tank, doesn't take much more room then the bowl. This way you could fit the heater in it and have a filter.

• Adam Harbeck
    16 years ago

In Oz you can buy special betta heating mats. I don't know much about them but you just get them from the betta section in the fish shop.

• celly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was thinking of getting a small 2-3 gallon tank, because I think my Betta would like it better, they didn't have any in stock but I am going to check some other places the next couple days, do you think it is necessary to upgrade? We already have a ten gallon that houses my African dwarf frogs, and I don't really have the room for another, but I do have room for a small tank. I havenÂt got a plant yet (just a few lettuce leaves, the people at a trusted pet store said they would be fine until I get a plant.) I'm wondering what water cress would be like, the leaves are stiff for sitting on and they can be de-rooted.

At the pet store I did buy a moss ball to put in my beta bowl. I have heard that they help eliminate algae growth and increase oxygen. So far my Betta is very exited about the new addition to his bowl.

Thank you all for your opinions and I would love to hear some more!

• woeisme
    16 years ago

I wouldn't put a lettuce leafs in the bowl unless you change it every day before it starts to rot. The rotting leaves would create ammonia. A Java Fern would work, but maybe a silk plant would be best. I saw a 6 gallon kit at Petco a while back. It is long and narrow and can fit on a book shelf.

• celly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm going to get a larger tank (2.5-5 gal)I am getting a heater or light. For a tank that small do you think I should also get a filter?

• birdwidow
    16 years ago

If you are going to get a real tank for your fish and have little space, check out an Eclipse 3, or better, a 5 or 6, which would give you more space for live plants. The built in filtration is really effective and if your house is climate controlled, you probably don't even need a heater.

When you put your hand in a tank and it feels cool to you, it's because you are so much warmer than the water. Keep in mind that your body temp. would kill your fish.

For the present, all of my tanks are in the basement, which holds at a pretty steady 68 deg., so I must use heaters, but my husbands's pet Beta, in an Eclipse 3 in the kitchen, is quite content in the average room temp there, of 76, which is higher in the daytime, because of the light in the hood.

I know a lot of tropical fish breeders who have given up heaters altogether. They say the fish will acclimate to a reasonably steady room temp lower than the supposed minimum of about 78, and their breeding success seems proof of that.

Back in the early days of home aquariums, interior air temps varied widely, but now, with digitally controlled temps and reliable H/AC systems, it may be time to rethink how we keep our fish at a comfortable, and safe temperature.

I can say for sure, that if the water drops slowly to a temp as much as 15 deg. below the ideal for any species, the fish will slow and stop eating, but if not left to chill for too long, will be fine when the temp rises back up to their ideal. But if it rises that much above it, they will very likely, and quickly- die.

• woeisme
    16 years ago

The water temp can vary and usually does, more so in the summer. Unless you have a fish room or your house is consistantly warm enough to maintain target range 68F-82F of the water, then you don't need the heater. When the fishes metabolism slows in colder waters they are more suseptible to disease and parasites. Unless you have this situation I would get a quality 25-50 watt heater for the small tank. The heater should be in position of a filter return or pump to help spread the heat so the tank itself is consistantly warm. Water temp. is usually colder at the bottom then the top. Depending on lighting to heat your tank in the winter isn't a good idea. When the lights are on, usually durring the day at the warmest time, the tnak may be fine. First thing in the morning the water temp is going to be pretty cold. I like to keep a glass of water on the night table at night. It usually stay cold all night. Or if you ever went into a pool or pond, the surface of the water is warm, but where your feet are usually colder then your hands. I don't see what the hassle is with a heater. As long as you get a good quality on, not necessarily more expensive, they are no brainers once you get a good setting on it. Keep a good dependable thermometer visible so you can periodically monitor the temperature to make sure the heater isn't going bad. I like models that have an indicator light that shows when the heater is active. There are some that have an external thermostat control so you can set it without getting your hands wet. I only had one mishap with a heater. This was in my first tank back in the mid-late 70's. It was a hand-me-down that was most likely a good 10 years old at the time. The only recent complaints I have heard about heaters are those that are "factory pre-set" and can't be adjusted. They are the ones for small bowls/tanks up to 5 gallons. They are notorious for overheating. I would get a filter also. If you feel that the water flow is too much, you can always get a plant with floating leaves or a tall rock that can diffuse the flow if it already doesn't have a flow control adjustment on it. External filters are a great place for aerobic bacterias to colonize.

• sherryazure
    16 years ago

I'd agree to avoid smaller heaters, too much chance of overheating and they are of cheaper quality (which tend to malfunction). I put my betta rescues in a larger container with a heater. (container in container) Not pretty but works in winter. Others have own tank higher up which stays warmer.

Also, many of my tanks have no heater (Betta rescue is near wall with window) so I use a room heater in dead of winter or when heater from building is off.

RE: eclispe. I have a 2.5 gallon with betta male. I do not use the lid filter as I have found it too strong for the betta finnage, in such a small space especially. I take it off and use one of those small penn plak filters that stick on with suckers. I use a valve you can get to slow the filtration. (blueish things and very cheap) Cut tubing and stick one inbetween, then you adjust the flow, plus I stick the filter up higher to reduce air bubbles from tossing him around. They often like to hang near this though, and chase the bubbles.

I think you can find a 2-3 gallon tank with glass lid and lighting. (they don't like esp bright light as well). Live plants are best mho, help with water quality, and they feed off of them (little things we can't see). I don't use gravel in such small spaces and do very little sweep off bottom once daily. Clean out completely (save part of water and filter with culture) when warranted, about once every other week. (just stuff on glass walls) Smaller sizes need extra care with re to water quality.

Or a sponge filter with slower adjusted water flow.

I like Anubias plants as they can deal with the low light and are easy to care for, ie no sand, just put on rock or wood piece. I attack a suction thing to wood then attach plant then put plants where I want them. Make sure rocks, wood so on are soft edged, betta fins are one cell thin and rip easily. (that little 7 watt bulb keeps the water pretty warm, although mine are on a higher ledge where warm air rises) Nana would be good for them. He sleeps under and on top of the little curled leaves, plus micro bugs are on them and he nibbles.

I cut one of those coconut huts in half (don't have to) and one guy loves to sleep in there. Female in other tank could care less, lol. She sits on top of it though to rest.

I was going to grow java moss on them but didn't have time nor does my java do well, except in betta rescue bowl (he can't swim so low bowl with moss tiles for him to scoot on, with small penn plax filter (I love these filters) and heated second containter.

You can get a coconut hut and put Anubias, java fern or moss on them.

As some were rescues, I have too many for larger tanks for each, hence the 2.5. A five would be a great size.

PS. I was thinking of some sort of heating pad myself. Nice to see someone has invented them, so will look at that. Thanks. Good luck, Sherry

• cmt_61664_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I am getting a betta soon. And I tried looking for a 5 gallon aquarium but they dont come with a hood. You have to buy everything separate which can run into money.

So, I am basically having the same problem. Any suggestions?

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA