Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Goldfish: how can I tell if it's fin rot, or cannibalism?

bayareafrancy
15 years ago

Hi all,

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked repeatedly, but my searches aren't working too well.

My sons have 2 little goldfish (carnival prizes). We've had them for over a year (together in a 5 gal tank with filter/pump).

Today I noticed one of the fish bobbing upside down. Upon closer inspection, I was horrified to find that his side fins, and most of his tail fin are GONE! He looks like a torpedo!

I immediately assumed it was my fault: the other one ate the fins because I only feed them every couple days (to keep the fish poo and filth to a minimum). But when I began googling the problem, I kept coming upon fish rot.

Although I can't be absolutely positive about this, the fins seemed to disappear basically overnight. I didn't notice any problem with the fish yesterday.

How depressing this is! I've never been a great fish owner, but I've tried to give these little guys a decent life ever since we won them (e.g. the $75 tank instead of the $12 bowl that my husband wanted). I'm feeling pretty guilty right now--thinking I starved the fish into cannibalism.

Will the torpedo-fish survive this? Will the side fins grow back? I'm thinking we would be better off starting fresh with fish that are cleaner and easier to care for.

Changing my user name to BadFishMama...

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer