Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guppyguppy

Zebra Danio is Pregnant

GuppyGuppy
18 years ago

Does anyone know anything about taking care of Zebra Danio fry? My female is due in another week or so. Are they very simalar to Guppy fry?

Comments (7)

• GuppyGuppy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay..do I feel stupid! I just found out that zebra danios lay eggs...so the stupid petstore employee that told me she was pregnant and would give birth in a few weeks didn't know what he was talking about. Ugg.
    Anyway, does anyone know any tricks about breeding danios?

• benjie677
    18 years ago

The secret of breeding zebras is to have a small school of them. By small I mean 5 or 6 take an empty tank and put in about 4-5" of water put in a piece of netting with holes fairly large. I used the material they use for bridal veils the holes are about 1/16" making a bowl shape with about 2" of water in the top section put your females in the net cage leave her alone for the day then in the evening add two or three males per heavy female. The slim ones with a bit darker stripes on there ventral fins are the males The fish will chase the heavy females and shoveing them against the net when they do the female will release her eggs they are not sticky so they fall to the floor of the tank if i remember right it takes about three days for the eggs to hatch when you look in the young will be hanging on the glass when the fry are free swiming you need to feed them very finly crushed flake food this needs to be crushed to the size of flour and works best if mixed with water to make a milkey liquid. they are fun to raise and grow fairly fast .Raising egglayers is fun and you can possably sell some to the fish stores you do buisness with you will need to use a sponge filter or your box filter will eat them

• breezyb
    18 years ago

Some people use a layer of glass marbles on the bottom of the tank. The eggs fall between the marbles preventing them from being eaten. The adult fish are then removed after spawning has taken place & the fry are raised alone after hatching.

• PaganIL
    18 years ago

Kind of related. I have a couple of zebras that look like they have belly's, while the rest are nice and streamlined. Does this mean I have a couple of females or are they just fat? If they are females and wanting to breed...that would be cool. I have another tank I could set up for that!

Eric

• joan_353
    16 years ago

hi, i have three zebra danios and one of them has a HUGE belly. first of all, i want to know how to be sure if the danio is a male or a female. then, i want to know the behavior signs of pregnancy. what should i do? HELP!!

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Water parameters: Temperature 18-24°C / 65-75°F; pH 6.0  8.0

Aquarium setup: Danio rerio (Zebra danio) is very tough and often used to cycle tanks. These fish like to be in groups of 6 or more. They are top dwellers. They are often used as "dither fish" to distract bigger, more aggressive fish. These guys make a great community fish and fish for beginners. They require a tank of at least 10 gallons preferable more.

Feeding: Accepts flake floods and live foods such as bloodworms and brine shrimp.

Breeding: Move male and female into a separate tank with a layer of round marbles at the bottom. Eggs will fall in between the marbles so the parents can't eat them. Fry usually hatch within 36 hours and look like little white tadpoles against the glass. They become free swimming in 3 days.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer