Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherryazure

Possible solution for swimbladder due to 'fish constipation'.

sherryazure
17 years ago

I had some odorless caster oil in the fridge from long ago. Betta can't swim down I noticed late at night (was fine during day). Did some researh, and hoped for best case scenario (ie not bacteria related, not from moving from tank to tank (had cleaned tank earlier in day) ie possible injury, but hopefully overfed and constipated - puts preassure on bladder which it turns out is pretty delicate organ.

Fed it a bit (very very small bit) of steamed Broccoli and went to bed. Very late. Next day (today) he was still at top and hard to stay down. This time I refed broccoli (didn't want to fast yet) with it dipped in castor oil which is medicinal in many ways and a strong laxative. I dabbed off excess oil. He ate small bit, gave him a bit more.

2 hours or so later, I catch him out of corner of eye swimming down..

Also, per some research I found (very extensive research on discuss site where change of water levels depending if fish is sinker ie slider (can't go up) or floater (can't go down) 'exercises' the swim bladder ie gets it to react to water preassure changes which may help it improve.... so I exercised him gently, by having the dark end of a pen, travel along the side of his tank while he tried to follow it... (no water change due to it being in a small hospital tank and I didn't want to stress him yet, and hoped laxative would due the trick).

I did this only a few 'laps'.... I put a plant (anubias) in with him as well so he could lodge himself under it, as he had tried to do with his cave (temporary cave was a plastic yogurt container with flat beach glass to weigh it down - on inside)...

He is fine now, sleeping in his cave, and swam as if nothing happened towards end of day. I am relived that it was nothing more serious.

I had added a small amount of Epson salts (magnesium) to provoke water going out, and changed out the sea salt (water going in) to help this along. (osmosis)... I will try not to overfeed EVER again. They sure like to beg.

PS. I soak their food, and think it was the two days of brine shrimp, which while doing research discovered is fatty rich and should be fed sparingly.

I would also appreciate any ideas other then sewage blood worms, as alternative best foods for bettas. So, far I can get live brine shrimp, and meal worms, which I squash and feed fish. Thanks Sherry

I feed them also some of my baby snails- sans shells, smashed. Any pros/cons to this?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting