Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treefrog_calgary

Suggestions for new 10 gallon tank

treefrog_calgary
18 years ago

I have a 10 gallon tank that's two weeks into it's cycling process. The aquarium is planted and I got a mass of rockwool from a healthy, established tank, so the cycling should be relatively smooth (knock on wood). I have one filter and an air pump with the valve set on low, so that I don't starve the plants of CO2.

So far I have two Harlequin Rasboras (two died) and will be building up to 5-6 over the next two weeks. I also have 4 Ghost Shrimp and two Algae-Eating Shrimp. I am trying to keep only asian species in this tank and here's where I need help. I've though about Colisa lalia, but I need to wait until water conditions are in tip top shape for that.

I'd like suggestions for bottom dwelling fish, and top dwelling that stay small and can live in a community tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rodrigo

Comments (4)

• treefrog_calgary
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So I've sort of decided to go with 5 or 6 Harlequin rasboras (Rasbora heteromorpha), 2-3 Honey Gouramis (Colisa chuna syn. C. sota), and the 4 Ghost Shrimp and 2 Algae Eating Shrimmp. I already have the shrimp and 2 rasboras. Please let me know what your thoughts are.
    Cheers
    Rodrigo

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Sounds nice the way it is. Alittle tight but manageable load. Stock slowly and watch water quality. Try to sex the honey gourami and go with all one sex unless you want to breed. From what i've read they breed easy (bubble nest builders). For bottom action oto cats for a planted tank are great and minimal impact on load. They keep the algae at bay if not fed algae waffers and are fun to watch in groups 3-5. I would remove the rock floss before adding any more fish. Then "polish" filter the water. Rock floss has been reported to cause irratation in fish gills and will cause the fish to scrape and rub causeing other damage. Stock slooooooooowly. Oh, if the shrimp aren't big the gourami will probably snack on them. If you dont need the air pump for your filter remove it. If you need it for your filter replace it for an inexpensive HOB type (only about 10-15 $ US) You are correct about CO2 escapeing. Noticeable affects will appear after 3-6 weeks.

• treefrog_calgary
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks woeisme. I think The shrimp are big enough that they won't get eaten. I don't mind fining out the hard way though. I don't know what you mean by "polish" filtering the water. Could you please explain. I will remove the air pump and hope that the filter is enough.

Cheers
    Rodrigo

• woeisme
    18 years ago

As long as your current filter turns the water over at a rate of 50gph or more you should be OK.Polish filters are filters that use very fine media to remove particles(floating algae, the rock floss, etc..)You can buy several different types. A micron is an example ( like whats used to filter drinking water,a pleated cylinder type like "marinelands" magnum) Aqua clear has one that fits on a powerhead. There are products like "purigen" that fit into an existing filter that remove small particles. Also a D.E. (diatom earth). You can also build a DIY type. Anyway thay are very useful, especially in a planted tank,if water chemistry changes, or an algae bloom. These filters can be used as a primary filter but often need alot of maintainance because of the ability to collect alot of crud. If you are useing a HOB type filter that has a sponge or fiber type cartridge (whisper,aqua clear, penguin etc.) It shouldget most of the rockfloss.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner