Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too many guppy fry!!!

Posted by phoenix28 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 29, 06 at 2:18

I had some guppies and platies a while ago, but ended up with a male platy and two female guppies....but one (or both i guess) were holding back pregnecy so i had fry way after the male died. Now i have at least 40+ fry along with the the adults in a 29 gal. tank. What should i do! I was going to cull most of them by feeding them to by brothers frog, but it died of old age (should have seen it comming, it lived a few years past normal) so now i have a bunch of fry with nothing to do with them. I dont know any1 who would want them, so if some one could give me some advice it would help a lot, THANX!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too many guppy fry!!!

Call around to pet shops and ask if they'd take them, or at least some of them. Failing that, there's Aquabid, which is like eBay, but for fish tanks. If you offer them for the price of shipping, someone's got to want them.

As to how your female got pregnant, they can store sperm for a long time and can have many litters from one spawning.

o

i knew they could hold sperm but i get jumbled up trying to put my thoughts on the the computer...

o

If the fry are in the same tank with the adult fish, I'm surprised they already haven't been gobbled up. Maybe your adults are too well fed? Let them go hungry for a couple days and see if they don't start looking at the fry as fish food. :-)

o

Guppies will lose interest in eating their fry after the first few litters, for some reason. Probably a survival instinct.

o

Let em stay there.. see what happens.

o

I took out some of the males and fed the rest to a HUGE! gold fish my brother has. I cut down on feeding and i cut the fry by half. Now i have a bunch of young fish, but barely any fry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here