Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fin rot and other disease?

Posted by cdox (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 6:15

Hi guys,

I have 2 small goldie and i just have them around 6 months. 1 of them (the one i really love) is having its fin rotting. I have been reading through other forums about the fin rot, but i kinda have some other symptoms that the others don't. mine is floating on top of the aquarium and floating upside down. Its getting less mobile and stays at 1 spot most of the time. The only time it moves is when i take a look at it. Please is there any suggestion what happening to my fish? BTW the other fish is healthy but look stressed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fin rot and other disease?

Sounds like serious water quality issues. Do you test the water for Ammonia and or nitrite levels. If so, is the tank in cycle ( this means you no longer can detect any ammonia or nitrite, only nitrate with a test kit)?
To remedy do 50% water changes daily and double dose your water conditioner IF it says you can on the instructions. Also, aquarium salt, follow directions on the box.

o
RE: Fin rot and other disease?

I agree with Woe. 50% water change daily, conditioner and some salt, just not too much. Goldies are strictly FW fish.

But also add MelaFix. It's perfectly safe and really does help combat fin rot and aid in tissue regeneration.

Some antibiotic such penicillin wouldn't hurt either. But you must remove the charcoal from your filter for either the MelaFix or an antibiotic to be of any benefit.

However, if you are doing water changes daily, the lack of either charcoal or amonia chips won't make any difference. Just run the filter with floss or a pad to trap solids and change or rinse it daily.

Goldies are about the easiest, yet conversely; difficult of all fish to keep in an aquarium. They are cold water fish, and as such need a lot more oxygen in their water than do tropicals, and for their body length, are far greater in total bulk than just about any other common aquarium fish, so need far more gallons per inch than the old and false standby, of a gallon per inch.

You are hopefully not keeping 2 of them in anything less than 10 - 20 very well filtered gallons?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here