Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water in the Tank

Posted by thunderxrage (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 7:45

Okay, in the past, I've had a 10 gallons tank and I did 25% water change every few months. When the water goes down, I just simply add water to the tank. I never have any problem with all my fishes for 3 years. Now, I have a 30 gallons tank and I have some questions. I've read that water change is a must every week at 10% or every month at 25%. I do not believe in the weekly change, but a monthly change sounds fine. I recently learned that each time a water is added to the tank, there are more minimals buildup. Is this true? Wasnt the treatments suppose to zap all the minimals away? Should I use distilled or spring water from the store instead of the tap water? The water in my 30 gallons tank is great at 7.0 PH with no ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. There are currently 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons = 6 tablespoons. I am curious on what is the best water for the fishes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water in the Tank

Optimal water chemistry is dependant upon the species of fish you are keeping.

What is good ph for Cichlids is bad for Tetras and the water temp best for either would stress any fancy goldfish.

Yes; every time you add water, any minerals in the tank water will be intensified by the new water.

Never use distilled water for live fish, unless you plan to replace all of the vital minerals distillation removes.

Tap water should be okay; just make sure you age it, or treat it to remove all chlorine and any metals.

If you have problems with your tap water; an RO unit is a lot cheaper than buying spring water.

Try one, and you will really love what comes out of your coffee maker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here