Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Community fish tank and aquarium salt!

Posted by kimberlysc z7 SC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 8:24

Good Morning,
I have a small 10 gallon tank that has been set up for years. I've basically just let it go and I had one fish remaining. I can't remember the last time I put aquarium salt in the tank. I know some fish like it but am wondering with the fish I have should I add a little salt.
I have two platys, two small sunset gouramis, one guppy, and one tetra. The tank looks good, nice and clear but I have the hardest time around here finding aquarium plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Community fish tank and aquarium salt!

No true fresh water fish needs salt. As long as you keep your tank clean and your fish seem to be doing fine, leave off the salt. A tiny pinch wouldn't harm the Plays or the Gup, but would NOT be appreciated by the Gouramis or the Tetra.

One of the greatest problems with too many aquarium owners, is not understanding that not all fish have the same water parameter needs and mixing them can lead to unhappy, if not dead fish.

The Platys and the Gup prefer harder water and a higher Ph than the Gouramis and the Tetra, but that can also depend on which species of Tetra you have.

Generally, it's best to set up tanks by region, for instance, an Amazon tank, with soft, slightly acidic water would be ideal for small Amazon tetras such as Neons, but the best water for them, would not be good for Gups.

If you want to get live plants that will do well in a 10, try an Anubas Petite and a few Crypts. They don't need a lot of bright light and won't overgrow your tank. If you can't find them locally, check out aquarium plant sellers online.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here