Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherryazure

Priscella's dying after nemotode treatment.

sherryazure
16 years ago

Some may have read an earlier post regarding the nasty Camallanus Nematode. This was brought in by blue neon rainbow fish (one wouldn't eat, swollen belly and I disceted post death, red wriggly worms, ugh and more ugh.) After finding research and learning that it is highly contagious, and speaking with (can't name as treatment is illegal) main vet pharma, and chemist who post info in link below, and running to my vet to get meds (wrong one and he had to put it under cat meds) I got the pig/sheep dewormer levamosole (other forms) hydrochloride.

I was told in many emails that all fish that came in any contact with infected original fish HAD to be treated. My heart sunk, gutt got a pain in it as this meant my priscella tetras (had over one year) and cories.

Two tanks, (had changed one group of fish before parasite was noted. Treat two to three times one week apart, and complete water changes after 24 - 36 hours! I have a pretty good system for changes (done with irradicating snails) but usually use part of the old water as well as filter floss, but in this case eggs can get stuck on anything. So, broke all down after taking a day to do water change from old to new hospital tanks (netting them in the end to not add any old water) I had set up four filters using floss from other non infected tank.

I did not think tetras and others were infected, but proceeded again, as all research and emails from source of meds and pharma vet said had to. Ok. All is fine except during 2nd round of treatment I was dribbling in 2nd dose for priscella tank. OOPS I remembered only after that I had measured out three doses for two tanks, and put in 1/2 dose 2nd time rather then 1/3.

Almost within minutes the tetras were acting hysterical (best word for it) and instead of swimming towards me (friendly and used to me) when I came around, paranoid and frantic. Most unusual was they were swimming towards tank bottom (no sand) as if looking at their reflection and kinda bashing into it. I immediately started a 3 gallon (five in tank) water change (had pre filtered water so that was handy) I added charcoal to the filter and had to run to apt. I thought all would be belly up but none had passed when I returned and behavior was normal again.

Now one thing. There were various dose ranges mentioned, but the pharma vet said, to use 2 parts per million rather then what most mentioned 4-5. I did so. Even then, most anecdotal use from various forums (not much infor out there) mentioend IT IS HARD TO OVERDOSE (mean to bold not shout, lol).

I decided not to treat round three, nor repeat if charcoal ended the treatment (in literature states you can treat tank won't hurt bacteria so on but who knows so not sure if charcoal lessoned meds). I transitioned all back to freshly set up tank. These had been set up for two weeks, with two filters using floss from older tanks.

Ammonia, nitrate and nitrites all yellow yellow and blue (sorry forget which is which but all aok)...

(I do partial water changes and keep watch on this form of cycling).

Here is the problem.

My priscellas have been dying. NOt all but so far four. One last night. 3 night before.

What caught my eye, and maybe until this since none had died, was that some (probably those that have died) looked like their already little tummies were wasting away. Now with the above mentioned nematode the belly bloats as the worm grows in the intestine.

I had come back from a new to me fish store and noticed their priscella tetras (young) were almost twice the size of my smallest, which as I said I have had a long time now. Mine apparently were runty to begin with thought the pet store clerk.

I am loath to do any more med treatment of any kind but am truly confused as to what is going on.

Otherwise behavior seems fine. Corie cats all five are fine, but they were in seperate not overdosed treatment tank. (I used only part of meds for them, not sure why I thought the tetras should not have 1/2 dose but again, sources said can't over dose (unless really really high) and I was using lower end of range of dose. I feel just horrible).

What concerns me is there are a few really small priscella (means little teeth I found out in latin) with same flattening stomach, I feel I will find them next dead and half eaten.

Any ideas. Internal parasites of another nature. Can they withstand another treatment? Some sort of wasting disease? Or runts and treatment prior jsut pushed them over the edge. Maybe treatment ruined their livers so on, so can't digest food? HELP any one with any thoughts.

Thanks much Sherry

http://inkmkr.com/Fish/CamallanusTreatment/experience.html

Comment (1)

Sponsored