Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I use regular fish meds on my betta?

Posted by steph13 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 08 at 10:57

I've seen betta meds before, but need to run out on my lunch hour from work & grab something for my work betta. He's not doing well, and I may not be able to find the betta meds. Will regular meds do? I was thinking they'd work fine, but not sure if I need to use less than would on other fish? Or is it the same dosage?

My betta's in a 2 gallon undergravel filter, and he's almost 2 yrs old. He doesn't seem to eat anymore, and lays on his side on the gravel on the bottom. I've tried BettaZing, and it's done nothing in the past. Water changes, etc.. I just don't know if he's old & can't save him, but I want to at least try with some meds. His stomach area (?) seems to look a little bloated, but sorry, I don't have peas here at work. :/ He won't eat the pellets anymore either. I noticed that on one of his eyes, it looks like there's either a clear covering over it, or the eye is swollen. Can I just pick up regular fish meds to try & treat this for him?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I use regular fish meds on my betta?

Betta's are not one of those fish that have a long life span. Two years is a little shorter than I would expect but they do not live as long as other fish. If you did use a different fish med mix it in a container large enough to dilute it to the correct dose and then add it to the betta bowl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here