Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
j3steele

looking for source of cheap substrate

j3steele
16 years ago

I'm a student (on a strict budget) starting up a planted aquarium - 34 gallon 3' x 1' bottom

I hope.

and I need a cheap substrate for my plants

I was thinking a layer of schultz aquatic soil and pea gravel on top

tsc store in Ontario has decorative pea gravel (made by alltreat) on sale right now. would this work as for a gravel top?

what about lake gravel. like the stuff you find on some beaches near the water level (provided it is given a good clean)

thanks

Comments (2)

• woeisme
    16 years ago

By beaches, if your talking of fresh water ponds and lakes, then it may be OK. Saltwater beaches will have too much calcium carbonates. Pea gravel is not ideal for plants, too big in diameter. Schultz's will work, but it clouds the water and is hard to vacuum because it is very light. I have used it in a plant only aquarium. It is also hard to get stem plants to stay still in unless you weigh them down with rocks until they root around a clump of substrate.

I have used crushed granite before with much success. I get it from a farm and feed supply. A 50lb. bag is about $6.50US. It is a feed supplement for poultry. It is sometimes called Chix-Grits or Grani-Grit. Get the size that is about 2mm in size, I think it is sometimes called "grower" size. The color is mainly white to dark grey with some pink, depending on where it comes from. Granite is inert and wont buffer your pH. That is a concern with most pea gravels (at least the ones in my area locally). You could mix a bag of Schultz's with it to give it some nutriens for root feeders like amazon swords. That is really not neccessary though. The fish poop and other organics will make it quite rich in nutrients. For fertilizer supplements I would reccomend using hygroponics ferts and mixing it with water. A friend of mine sells small bags of all the nutrients you need and mixing directions. It will give you years of use and only costs about $10US or so.

• scott361
    16 years ago

Especially if you're going for a planted system, you can't get better than a good layer of live pond clay covered with a thick layer of sand!
    (If your local clay is low in iron, I'd consider adding it.My area has high natural concentrations of Laterite and I'm sure that has helped.)

I've had various aquaria since the 80's and both my mom and grandma had them before me.
    I've had corner filters, UG filters, hanging power filters and I even used a Wet/Dry filter with a protein skimmer when I had Africans.
    They were all higher maintanence than this ever has been.
    I could always get a gorgeous planted system going and it would always start to fail eventually.

I did my 100 gal palludarium this way and wouldn't consider doing my next one different!
    (I have a huge one in the early planning stages!)
    It's been up and running for several years(4-5?).
    There is no need to vaccum anything with the exception of excess mulm.
    It is pushed/sucked to a screened off corner where one of the pumps is located.
    The simple PVC system is under the clay layer.
    I already had the PVC pipes and connecting joints!
    For the screen, I used an old UG filter set on its side.
    Works perfectly!:~)
    The plants have to be kept under control or they'll take over.
    My pre-filter sponges, for the two simple pumps, are squeezed out occasionally and water is changed when I feel it's necessary.
    Simple, stable and CHEAP! ;~)
    {{gwi:377483}}
    I've had the tank for years, so it has scratches. A lot of scratches!;~)
    They really only show up, that badly, in the photos!
    The rocks and wood, I already had. I bought some new lights, two small pumps, 'Good stuff'expanding foam, some new hoses and GE silicon.
    Other than the plants and fish, that's it!

(I have 20-30 years worth of black gravel sitting around in large trash cans! It all cost too much to throw away!)

I've tried to write out some of the details for people that have written me privately.
    I should add the info to my Flickr page, I guess.

There was absolutely no new tank syndrome!
    Period!
    An intense and stable biosystem was established from the start!

I've heard disbelief and doubt about it. All I can say is...Take a look at the photos!
    This has been running from the start for several years and will continue to do so, with just a slight nudge occasionally. :~)

Although I've mentioned it before, here's a link to a few photos!

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: Palludarium photos

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!