Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moregirll8000

betta not eating!!!

moregirll8000
18 years ago

my friend's betta is NOT eating and she has tried EVERYTHING!!! He is a very beautiful fish and I was woundering if there was such a thing as liquid food? Please try to get back to me ASAP!

Morgan

Comments (11)

• Minaku
    18 years ago

How long has she had this betta? How long has it not been eating? What are its living conditions (ie water temp, tank size, water change schedule, normal food) and how old is it?

There is no such thing as liquid food, sorry. Other than that, I can't answer any questions until I know more about the fish.

• IceMountain
    18 years ago

He just simply won't eat any floating pellets, even the smallest in the package? For how long has he not been eating? (There is such a thing by the way, but it's pretty much used for livebarers/fry)

• moregirll8000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well he lives in a 1 1/2 gal. tank and water changes about once every 5 days, she has had him for 2 weeks and has'nt been eating since she got him. She tried pellets, flakes and even freeze dried blood worms! Do you think he might have a disorder or something? Thanks for geting back to me so quickly!
    Morgan

• Minaku
    18 years ago

Don't worry - that's perfectly normal behavior. Tell your friend that he's still adjusting, and as soon as he's used to his new home he'll become more perky and want to eat.

Have her offer him a couple of pellets twice a day. If he doesn't eat them, scoop them out and leave him until the next feeding time. He'll come around, eventually. My latest female took 2.5 weeks before she decided she was going to eat.

• moregirll8000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WOW. Thanks for the advice Minaku! I will tell my friend the news!

• sandywesttexas
    18 years ago

I would also go and get some frozen blood worms have not known a betta to resist. You should also feed some peas to your betta every week to keep it from getting constipated internal problems. Buy the frozen peas thaw out and serve small bites once or twice a week. Never let the food stay in the tank it will fowl your water making your betta sick.

• Minaku
    18 years ago

Actually, one should only do the pea thing if the fish is constipated. Bettas are carnivores, so they shouldn't be getting roughage like a pea on the regular.

Fasting for one day a week works just as well.

• sandywesttexas
    18 years ago

I give my Betta peas on a regular basis once a week. In nature when they grab a bug they often get some green plant material with it. Often in an aqutic environment the bug is sitting on a plant etc and they grab for it tearing a little green with it. . I have not had a constipated fish yet. They love the peas yet they still get plenty of protien which is their main diet....I feed pellets, blood worms frozen only (I think the freeze dried are constipating due to the fact they are dry and no fish in nature eats dry hard things), brine shrimp frozen, and peas once a week. When I feed the peas I feed a bite of pea, one pellet, and a bite of blood worm so it is like a three course meal.

• Minaku
    18 years ago

Er, they do?

Rice paddies hardly have plants and trees hanging over them into the water...

• sandywesttexas
    18 years ago

True rice paddies do not have trees overhanging them they need lots of light and openness. They do have rice growing in them and any opportunistic plants such as algaes etc. They are not dead bodies of water they are not mud puddles like we have in the states. They are living bodies of water that are large and fed by monsoon rains....They have to have a lot of hiding spaces otherwise the bettas would kill each other till none were left. Instead this is a large body of water able to support a number of male and female bettas... I still will use the pea once a week and I too fast my fish every sunday they get no food...

• sandywesttexas
    18 years ago

if any of this advice worked. Hope it gets better.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm