Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aqua_jerry

New Aquarium

aqua_jerry
17 years ago

I am new at this hobby. I have a new 16 gallon aquarium. It is a month old. I have an Emperor 280 bio wheel filter and ariate with a stone and wand. I am having ammonia challenges and believe I may have over populated my tank. I have 2 dalmation mollies, 2 sunset platy's, 2 angels, 1 clown loach, and a plesocotmus for algae control. The fish are all apparently healthy and all eat quite well. I am using carbon/ammonia media in addition to the filter cartridge. I have been vacuuming approx once a week and change out approx 4 gal of water at a time. I have been using an ammo blocker to keep the toxification down, however, would like to see this managed by the system eventually. PH is good 7.2, Nitrate and Nitrite are both at 0 ppm which tells me that the ammonia is not getting converted. I have used biological additives to try and assist the process. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you

Comments (9)

• skygee
    17 years ago

You are very overloaded - and even if the tank was cycled you are overloaded. The angels will grow to be at least 5 inches in diameter - big for a 16 gallon tank. Clown loaches can grow quite large as well (mine in the 72 gallon are 5-6 inches long) and depending on the pleco species you have, my common pleco in the 55 gallon is about 9-10 inches long.

I wish that some species were miniatures like when we buy them as babies, but they're not. Baby angels really are very cute!

I have never been able to keep mollies in a freshwater tank situation. They are really brackish water fish. Clown loaches don't tolerate salt well.

Your platys are perfect for that tank.

Can you exchange your fish?? You may want to trade in your dalmations and pleco for credit. See how the angels and platys fair as the tank cycles (and natural cycling will just take time. Not sure you can hurry it up at this point in time). Reducing the number of fish in the tank would probably help in the cycling. But a pair of angels, in my opinion, shouldn't be kept in anything smaller than a 25 gallon tank (tall). They really do grow quite large - can get territorial, and like the space so they can establish their own piece of the tank.

Platys are great fish to start out with. They're generally easy fish to keep and come in wonderful colours and shapes. I'm really attracted to the high fin platys. They're very pretty!

Angels are aggressive fish (they're in the cichlid family) - and are known to eat small slim bodied fish like neons. If your platys live through the cycling process and breed, adult angels will keep the population in check for sure.

Clown loaches are really much happier if kept with a buddy or 2 or 5. An ideal number of loaches is 6 since they do like to school. But I always suggest at least 3. Any time I've had a single clown loach, they always seemed to hide. with friends they're out and about.

I don't have plecos in my tropical tank - they're in the cichlid tank - but don't have any issues with algae in my tropical tank at all. Don't expect that keeping "algae" eating type fish means that your tank will be totally algae free.

Other fish that would be suitable for your tank size are corydora cats, otocinclus, black neons, tetras like bleeding hearts or serpae. But for now, don't add any other fish.

• aqua_jerry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the response. Oddly enough, the sunset platy is buddies with the angels, the loach is very playful, and all over the place, he does have places to hide when in the mood, the mollies hang together, and my black tailed platy just hangs out in back until food is present. I do not believe I can get a credit, so I will just make very frequent water changes to ensure the groups health. Should I have any concerns using the Ammo Blocker and Stress Zyme formulas?

• skygee
    17 years ago

I've never used either Ammo blocker or Stress zyme - so can't comment on that. Perhaps others have had experience with it.

• keithgh
    17 years ago

It does not matter what you do you are "EXTREMLY" over loaded all of those fish will advetually out grow that small tank. If the platies and mollies are a pairs you will have more problems. I dont know who ever gave you the advice on what to stock I certainly would never listen to them again. As you are new to fish keeping I strongly suggest you do a lot of reading and research work quickly and think about what you will have to remove from that tank.

As an experienced fish keeper 30+ years I know the smaller the tank the harder it is to maintain as you have very litle room for any errors.

Keith

• james_ny
    17 years ago

If your fish are small [plecko's, clown loaches and angles get very large]you'll be ok for awhile. The best way to keep the ammo level down is more water changes. Go to 2 or 3 water changes a week unless you want to give back some fish. These water additives tend to mask the problem and may impede cycling the tank.

• uninformed_kitty
    17 years ago

Even if you don't think you can get credit, it's worth a shot asking, don't you think? The worst they can say is no. :) If they won't let you, I'd definitely buy more tanks. If you can't afford glass tanks, there are large rubbermaid bins at Wal-Mart that are very cheap and make for decent indoor ponds on a budget.

• sandywesttexas
    17 years ago

If you have room for an indoor pond, you could have a wow sit up. I put a 125 gallon indoor pond in using a preform that you can buy for very little at Home Depot. I have a pond filter, two air driven large box filters, and a little angle that splashes water into the pond.
    I found it was a peaceful addition to my home, and when I have guests over it causes quite a bit of excitement.

• james_ny
    17 years ago

Sandy, I also have a 130 indoor pond. Most tropicals don't show well in anything but an aquarium though.

• thunderxrage
    17 years ago

Your tank is not overcrowded currently. However, as soon those angels grow bigger, they will need a bigger tank.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting