Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where are they?

Posted by rosser (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 30, 06 at 12:19

I have one dalmation molly. I am pretty sure she is pregnant due to her size. well, I did find one baby in the tank. It seems to be doing quit well but only one? how long does it take to deliver all her babies? does she have them all at once or over several weeks?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where are they?

Usually throughout a day. Not all babies often survive. Depends on breeding practices, how healthy the mother is, etc.

I've also found that molly and platy babies are visible the first couple of days, and then they seem to go into hiding before they eventually emerge a couple of weeks later. Depends on tank set up, I guess.

o

I would think that either she or some other fish ate the poor little guys! I had a couple of marble mollies at one time and the fathers would be eating the babies as she had them! no sooner did they come out did the father gooble it up! some little ones always survived but most were eaten.

o

I usually only notice one to three at first. They are so small and quick. Then, like Skygee said, in a week or two the population doubles to triples as they grow larger and brave out of hiding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here