Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annemun

Eclipse filtration systems

annemun
16 years ago

Where can I purchase an Eclipse hood system w/filtration/light/etc (everything under the hood) for a 45- or 55-gallon tank? Will these fit any rectangular glass tank 45- or 55-gallon? Thanks

Comments (7)

• woeisme
    16 years ago

Usually 55G have a partition/brace on top dead center. Maybe you can use 2 - 24" ones

Here is a link that might be useful: 2- 24

• debndal
    16 years ago

You can't put an eclipse hood on a standard 45-55 gal tank to fit the way they are intended. You might be able to fashion some kind of bracket tho. There are acrylic tanks made to accomodate 2 eclipse II or III hoods, but they are pricey and I've never had much luck having acrylic tanks shipped. No stores that I have found carry them in stock. I absolutely love the eclipse system and wish they would come out with hoods to fit larger aquariums. Serious aquarists might not like them, but they are great for the semi serious fish keepers who want large, but also easy to maintain systems.

• debndal
    16 years ago

Oh, birdwidow, now you've done it! I'm going to be chomping at the bit to get one of these. A couple of years ago when I wrote to Marineland asking if they would ever make larger eclipse hoods they told me they had no plans to, so I bought one of the System II (filtration in the back, inside the aquarium) aquariums, and even tho I like the look, it is noisy and not that easy to maintain. I shudder to think when the pump goes out how I'm going to be able to replace it without tearing down the system. They don't really say a brand name on this one you linked. Do you know who makes it and do you have one? Time to do some research, but I want to find out the manufacturer.

• birdwidow
    16 years ago

debndal:

It IS an Eclipse- sort of. Made by Marineland. Same mfg. as the original Eclipse. I presume they gave it a new name, because of the different appearance.

But being a Marineland product, it will work as advertised and parts will be easy through any of their major distributors, or directly from the mfg.

Marineland seems to be pretty swift at responding to their customers. I wrote to them, asking why they don't make their hoods to match oak trimmed tanks, and received a very nice response the next day. If they follow through with a color choice is another matter, but they did respond.

I would bet you weren't the only one who asked for a larger sized Eclopse and- regardless of what they are calling it; they came trhough. That's probably why they are so successful. They make what people want to buy.

Meanwhile, for my decoration desires, there is always saddle brown Krylon for Plastic.

• debndal
    16 years ago

birdwidow - great to know it's a Marineland product. I think my SystemII is fixing to crack, ahem, so DH won't get mad when I "hafta replace it!".

• birdwidow
    16 years ago

debnal:

Easy solution. Many long years ago, I received a hideous vase as a wedding gift from a dear old friend of my mother's. As I was placing it in a proud position on the mantle, it slipped from my hands and received a fatal blow when it struck the stone hearth. So sad. LOL!