Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yng_grdnr

pet store set up

yng_grdnr
16 years ago

Hello. I was at a pet store the other day and I noticed how intricate the aquariums were set up. I was wondering exactly how they are set up because I'd like to take that idea and apply it to my pond. the water was so clear and the fish seemed happy. I know they used a lot of PVC piping because it was all over. I just don't know the details of the setup. If anyone knows or has a good website explaining it I would love to learn. thanks!

Comments (5)

• birdwidow
    16 years ago

You were very likely seeing a flow through system, filtered through a sump, with automatic top offs fed from a fresh water supply.

But for a single pond, which is in essence, no more than a single very large tank, you don't need anything so elaborate.

For good pond filtration info., ask the folks over on the Pond Board. Lots of experienced and helpful ponders there.

• woeisme
    16 years ago

You could also set up a sump system for your pond. It can be merely a DIY job and hidden under some landscapeing for camoflauge. Pet stores usually have UV filtration that kills bacteria, parasites and free floating algaes. There is alot of indoor aquarium equiptment that can be used in a pond, or can be replicated on a larger scale for pond use.

• james_ny
    16 years ago

Depending on the size of your pond the newer filtration systems usually consits of bottom drains hooked to a settlement chamber/filter with a return pump. A surface skimmer is usually part of the system. As BW said the pond forum has many experts on the latest systems. A store multi tank setup wouldn't work well on a pond [no bottom drains to collect gunk and leaves].

• woeisme
    16 years ago

Well there you go. Good point James on the leaves and gunk. I kind of thought of a way to use a sump system for a pond, whenever I build one at the new house (whenever thats done). I will incorporate a bottom drain into the system. Thanks for the food for thought.

• james_ny
    16 years ago

woeisme, I have a 180 gal outdoor fiberglass pond with just an internal filter and I dump it every spring to clean it out. When I get a bigger pond i'll probably have 2 bottom drains and a skimmer. I'm sick of doing maintenance.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms