Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pet store set up

Posted by yng_grdnr z6 lower hudson val (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 07 at 14:00

Hello. I was at a pet store the other day and I noticed how intricate the aquariums were set up. I was wondering exactly how they are set up because I'd like to take that idea and apply it to my pond. the water was so clear and the fish seemed happy. I know they used a lot of PVC piping because it was all over. I just don't know the details of the setup. If anyone knows or has a good website explaining it I would love to learn. thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pet store set up

You were very likely seeing a flow through system, filtered through a sump, with automatic top offs fed from a fresh water supply.

But for a single pond, which is in essence, no more than a single very large tank, you don't need anything so elaborate.

For good pond filtration info., ask the folks over on the Pond Board. Lots of experienced and helpful ponders there.

o

You could also set up a sump system for your pond. It can be merely a DIY job and hidden under some landscapeing for camoflauge. Pet stores usually have UV filtration that kills bacteria, parasites and free floating algaes. There is alot of indoor aquarium equiptment that can be used in a pond, or can be replicated on a larger scale for pond use.

o

Depending on the size of your pond the newer filtration systems usually consits of bottom drains hooked to a settlement chamber/filter with a return pump. A surface skimmer is usually part of the system. As BW said the pond forum has many experts on the latest systems. A store multi tank setup wouldn't work well on a pond [no bottom drains to collect gunk and leaves].

o

Well there you go. Good point James on the leaves and gunk. I kind of thought of a way to use a sump system for a pond, whenever I build one at the new house (whenever thats done). I will incorporate a bottom drain into the system. Thanks for the food for thought.

o

woeisme, I have a 180 gal outdoor fiberglass pond with just an internal filter and I dump it every spring to clean it out. When I get a bigger pond i'll probably have 2 bottom drains and a skimmer. I'm sick of doing maintenance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here