Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevip711

Clown being rejected

kevip711
15 years ago

I recently went out of town and when I returned my three clowns were no longer together.. I have had all three for over a year.. one is being shunned by the largest clown it seems.. I feel so bad for it.. and its now in risk of being eaten by my eel.. any reason why a clown would be suddenly rejected by the other two?? The clown now hides most of the time and only really comes out at night to sleep in my elegance or anemone.. any ideas?

Comments (14)

• mcbdz
    15 years ago

Hello kevip711,

Clowns will pair up as they mature and then the odd one out will be harrassed until it dies. You may want to see if you can trade him in for credit ir something. They are just becoming mature and this always happens unless you have a very large tank. For your saltwater hobby also try looking at saltwaterfish.com"forum. LOVE it!
    Pattie

• kevip711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Without trading him in should I buy another? I hate to lose him as I am attached to all my fish.. and this just happened recently.. within practically a day or two..

• mcbdz
    15 years ago

No,unless your tank is very large(over 150-200gal) and you can make different territories completely way from each other they will not let any other clown around. Very terriorial and the rule normally is 1-2 clowns per tank. It would be a good excuse to start another tank though., or upgrade.LOL
    Pattie

• kevip711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I dont like your answers as its depressing.. my tank is only 75 gallons.. what would happen if I bought another clown??

• mcbdz
    15 years ago

They would mostlikely attack it also. Especially considering you have had a lot of you fish for a while. I would opt for a small 20gal if you can't bared parting with it.
    Pattie

• kevip711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I watched them today and they arent attacking it.. it almost seems like my largest clown is saying where are you at.. I did have one marron clown I bought a long time ago but it attacked everything.. I ended up removing him.. not sure I can remove this clown as he stays pretty much secluded and in hiding.. adding another seems to be one option as I dont see how I can get this one out..

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

I would start with providing (more) hiding places.

• kevip711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There are plenty in my setup.. I am just really bothered by the fact that I have no options in saving this nice fish.. I will try a new clown but skeptical on what the outcome will be.. I dont want to create more problems.. but you look into this clowns face and it really affects you and makes you sad...

• kevip711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is my aquarium..

Here is a link that might be useful: aquarium

• birdwidow
    15 years ago

If you are really fond of that fish and it's misery makes you sad, either set up another tank, even if it's only a small one, where it can live in peace in a sress free invironment, or let it go to someone who will.

• kevip711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My clown is no longer rejected but the new one I added is.. he isnt rejected by one the one clown that was rejected but he still stays out of sight.. My clowns also layed eggs but they were quickly eaten by the two close clowns that rejected the other.. I wish they would of let the eggs be and hatched or if I had some means of taking them out to hatch.. anyway all is good for the original three but no so much for the one I added.. not sure why the two stopped attacking the third.. weird.. always learning.. fish are so interesting and not so dumb

• mcbdz
    15 years ago

Because they will always go after the weekest, then when they kill him off they'll go after the other odd one out again. These are very terriorial fish. Just like anyother animal, if you study their natural behavior ya'll understand how to take care of them better. saltwaterfish dot com has a clown breeding forum if you really are interested in that check it out.
    Pattie

• kevip711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am definitely learning.. salt water aquariums arent my strong suit.. only been doing it for a bit over a year and a half I guess.. you can see my tank if your interested.. go to the Saltwater Aquarium link.. I had a major rock collapse last year when I let my neihbors take care of it while I was away so keeping up this tank has been a real struggle for me.. I lost most of every thing when that disaster happened.. I didnt realize salt fish are also cannibels and will eat their eggs and sometimes other fish.. my koi do it.. but wasnt sure on salt fish

Here is a link that might be useful: My site

• mcbdz
    15 years ago

Love the pics and your tank looks great. When you start with saltwater, fresh just won't cut it anymore.LOL below is a link to my 55gal. I'm setting up a 240gal FOWLR, but it is taking way more money then I was planning, so don't know when I'll be done.:o(
    Pattie

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics

Sponsored