Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Betta-film on water

Posted by denise_ky z6 KY (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 07 at 16:01

Hello All,
I am the caretaker of my 11 yo daughter's new crown tail betta while she is at her Dad's house. He is being kept in a 2.5 tank with 4 ghost shrimp. The tank has one of those whisper filters. Here is my qestion: I noticed a film at the surface of the water along with some bubbles. Is this normal? Since Bettas are surface breathers at times do I need to be concerned about this film? You may ask how much film? On a scale of 0-10 with 0 being crystal clear and 10 being you can't see through the water surface, I'd say the film would be 2-3. We've had the fish and tank since Wednesday, July 25th. Thanks for any help you could give me!
Denise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Betta-film on water

Film on water is probably protien build up from your water supply if it is like an "oily sheen". Bubbles could be the same or a bubble nest. Did you get the shrimp and betta all at once? If so get an ammonia test kit and change out 50% water (conditioned water)evry other day until you get the ammonia test kit. I recomend the API brand sold at most pet supplies.

o

Thank you woeisme for the advice. I'll get the ammoia test kit this weekend. I changed out 1/3 of the water yesterday with conditioned water. We did get the shrimp and betta at the same time.
Denise

o

you can usually bring a little of your water to your fish or pet store and most places will check your water there.

o

A filter that gives lots of flow helps and maybe a papaer towel to soak up what is on the surface may remove some of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here