Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzguy

Re Use Dead 'Live Rocks & Livesand'?

dzguy
17 years ago

I was given about 30lbs of dried and used to be liverocks and live sand from a 20 gal tank. Since I have no experience with saltwater aquarium before, I wonder if I can reuse these rocks and sand to start a 40 gal reef tank? What need to be done? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

dzguy

Comments (4)

• keithgh
    17 years ago

I would consider using the rocks. If they have bee stored safely (that is no way could they be contaminated by garden or house products) I would certainly give them a very good cleaning and scrubbing also steam cleaning if possible them boil them to kill any bacteria left from the ex live????

Sand that is totally up to you some new marine tanks today have a very bare minium of substrate sand for some reason.
    Personally I would buy all new as required and wash and re wash it several times.

Fishprofiles.com has a special marine section I very strongly suggest you go there for more info if you are a totaly newbee to marine aquaria.

Keith

• woeisme
    17 years ago

The live rock and live sand you have now is dead. It should be safe to use. Live rock/sand is just rock and sand that are good hosts to beneficial bacteria, algae and animals that provide the ideal nutrients and texture. Usually the sand is aragonite and the rocks aragonite/or somthing with a high calcium carbonate content that has a porous texture. Too make the "dead" rock "live" again you add quality pieces of new live rock to the tank. The live rock will "seed" the dead rock as long as water parameters and good circulation are present. The site below has a better more detailed explanation of these things as well as tons of articles for beginers to experts.I would advise you to be patient and follow advise of "fishless" cycle with live rock. Don't add fish until the live rock has cycled the tank.

Here is a link that might be useful: reef central

• dzguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great advices! Thanks keithgh & woeisme. Do you know what is the sufficient ratio of the quality live rocks to my 30bls dead rocks do I need to intruduce and how long it takes to re seed the dead rocks again?
    Thanks,

dzguy.

• turtlegreen
    17 years ago

No ratio, you can buy or borrow a fist size piece of live rock. The bacteria and organisms will spread and multiply onto the "dead" or base rock.

You will also need to cycle your new setup. Many people do this by adding a dead shrimp to the aquarium. You can get the shrimp from your local grocery store's seafood section. Make sure it's raw.

You'll need to test for ammonia and nitrite in your aquarium's water. You'll see a spike in both of them and when they both return to zero you're ready for fish!

I second woeisme's advice of going to reefcentral.com. You'll find everything you need/want to know. They have a newbie's section that's great.

Good luck! It's a fantastic hobby!

Sponsored