Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
beta not eating & bloated

Posted by petitsecretsale (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 19:29

OK...I am new to the forum and have read a similar posting, but my poor little beta is not eating and is bloated too :'( He really has me worried. We just recently moved, so I decided that he too deserved an update on his pad. We bought him a two gallon tank and a little castle with some plants. He seemed to really like it at first, but now he just lodges himself in the plant and stays close to the surface. He swims every now and then, but nothing erratic. We have only had him a year, and I am really concerned about the little guy. I have offered him food and teased him with it every day...but nothing. Any ideas???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: beta not eating & bloated

My betta just died after i moved him to a new tank. I think he didn't like the air bubbler because it created a current around the tank. Idk much about this stuff... i just know that moving fish to a new tank is tricky business.

o

I would say you're feeding him too much, but if you've kept him that way for a year already then I'm not really sure. I've seen a betta that was fed everyday (they will eat and eat until they make themselves sick) and it bulged and got sick, this particular betta did not make it, but that was over a few months. I feed mine every other day at the least. I've also changed tanks with a betta before he also loved it and then he just seemed to get bored and didn't care anymore.

o

Do you have a heater? Bettas need warm water, about 78 degrees would be OK.

Bettas should be fed in small amounts twice a day, and let them "fast" one day a week. My bettas fast every Friday.

I find my bettas enjoy a 2-1/2 gallon tank with NO filter, but a heater, silk plants, substrate and some aquarium salt added for stress.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here