Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy2828

6.0 pH in freshwater tank

christy2828
16 years ago

Okay, I've had my tank for a little over 2 weeks. It is 55 gallons, and I bought it used. It had bacteria happy gravel at the bottom and 3 inches of water remained until we got it home and filled it up. I test the water daily, and have added some fish every few days or so.

Na: 40 30 30 40 40 20 30 30 40 30 20

Ni: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Hd: 75 75 75 75 75 75 75 75 75 75 75

Al: 0 0 0 40 30 40 40 40 60 75 75

pH:6.5 6.5 6.2 6.2 6.2 6.2 6.2 6.2 6.0

We have done a 20% water change twice now, the latter with cleaning half of the gravel. Yet, the pH dropped again. Should I worry? And, if so, what can I do to change things? Thanks for any advice! Christy

Comments (5)

• woeisme
    16 years ago

Test you tap water directly from the tap. Take a sample in a clean cup rinsed well in the tap water. Test it again from that same cup 24 hours later. Check the level aginst the first sample and the tanks. For now, just add 1/2 tsp. of baking soda to the aquariums water. Check pH in 2 hours. If needed add another 1/2 tsp of Baking soda and check in 2 hours, repeat 1/2 tsp. every 2 hours until level gets to 6.8pH. Check again in 24 hours after 6.8 is reached. Sounds like you have all in one test strips, they are unreliable get a reagent type like API master test kit. Also, I guess Al is ammonia? if so when ammonia is high it can lower pH. Looks like your ammonia levels is high, get ready to change some more water if it gets to 1.0. If your water is natrally acidic, look to it as a blessing. Raising pH is easy, lowering it is a PITA and expensive. If your water is acidic add a couple of seashells to the tank or get some crushed coral that is sold in the salt water fish sand and gravel aisle of your local pet store. Just a small bag. Take a scoop and put it in a media bag or old clean stocing and put it in your filter. Seashells and coral are pure calcium carbonate and will buffer your water long term. You can use the baking soda just for a quick dose when changing water out durring maintainance.

• james_ny
    16 years ago

If the ammonia is rising the tank may be cycleing. Sometimes much of the bacteria can die off even with the old gravel and water while setting the tank up. Man, moving a 55 gal with gravel and 3" of water must have been a pain. I would try to avoid altering the ph by any means but water changes, it's usually just masking the problem of why the ph is not right. Don't add more fish until the tank is stable. Good luck.

• christy2828
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Al is alkalinity. I have been using the all in one test strips, I'll get one of those API master test kits. Do those test the ammonia? Thanks for the tips, I added some baking soda, and it raised the pH back up to 6.2. Is 6.2 an okay level to keep it at? Thanks for the tips! Christy

BTW, it was a PITA moving that tank with gravel and water in it. Especially when it left your nose in that perfect smelling position!

• woeisme
    16 years ago

Yeah, I didn't note the size when I read your post. Check for leaks the next couple weeks. Sometimes the movement with the added weight inside compromises the caulk seals. It is suspicious that your Alkalinity went up, and your pH went down. The API mater test kit comes with Ammonia (NH3 & NH4), Nitrite ( NO2) and Nitrate (NO3) as well as pH and a high range pH kit(s). The high range is for pH above 7.8 because the standard pH test pegs out at 7.8. These tests will last you years. It says on the bottles only good for one years after opening, but I have had them for up to 3 years and they tested accuratly when I compared them to the same new test kits. It is the best first investment you can make, well along with a python gravel vacuum water fill kit.

• botanical_bill
    16 years ago

This should be a simple fix. Add washed crushed coral to your filter for a day or two. Make sure the water is running through the coral. The easy way to do that is to take a knee high panyhose and slip it over your filter, then add the washed/rinsed coral ( you want to rinse it to get the fine stuff out) so it sits on the filter and is not packed at the bottom. Then I twisted the hose and ran it back, twisted it again and back. So you get 3 layers of hose over the filter and coarl. Check the ph about every 12 hours. Once its in the right range, pull that filter and put in a regular one.
    If your pH goes low again, put the coral filter back in and keep in till you get the right range.
    If your tank is way out of wack you may be putting in the coral every other day to keep the pH ballanced.
    Once you get your pH right, every thing else should ballance out over a week or two.
    Good luck.

Oh, if you cant find crushed coral, ask your plant aquarium store if they can give you some, they usualy get it in a 5 gallon bucket. Remember to wash the coral before you put it in the tank, preferably use distiled water.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!