Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant and stocking suggestions for 10g?

Posted by ahelaumakani Zone 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 08 at 22:23

I have 10g well-established tank that currently has:

- blue gravel (yuck)
- 2 chunks of driftwood (one is curved so it forms a bit
of a cave, the other is just a straight log)
- a squarish red, shiny decorative rock and some various
smooth stones
- 11 or so cryptocoryne wendtii which probably can be
divided further

And 1 bronze Cory. The guy at the LFS told me to start out with one and come back if it did OK but then I was preparing to move and decided to wait til after to get more.

Some questions:

Would it be possible to switch out the blue gravel for natural or would it be too much of a hassle and possibly kill my fish?

How many more corys should I get?

Any additional fish I could get or should I just stick with corys?

Right now the crypts are just scattered around. Should I just get more and plant them in clumps or are there other plants I can add to get a more natural look?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant and stocking suggestions for 10g?

If you want to clear out the tank and start over, you need to put the fish into a secure container while you are working on the tank and for that, with only a single fish, a 5 gal. plastic bucket to hold the cycled water and another, smaller one to hold more tank water and the fish will work.

You will need to retain at least 7 - 8 gal. of the tank water to refill the tank after you have made the change. When doing a complete tank cleanout, it's tempting to fill it with fresh water and that's the most serious mistake amatuers make. If the tank is due for a water change, do it at least 24 hrs. before you do the clearout. Then the fish will have pretty clean water, but it will have retained it's cycle.

For a 10, you need to limit the number of fish and corys are miserable unless they have other members of their own species. 6 is considered the minimum number of any cory species to keep, and bronze aneus, while not the largest, are not the smallest either, so 6 of them in a single 10 gal. tank would be about it.

You could add a small school of another species that prefers the same type of water as do corys, such as 6 small tetras, but you will need to use a filter rated for at least a 30 and pay careful attention to water changes.

BTW: Most corys have sharp spines that are easily caught in nets and why people who keep them try to avoid netting them whenever possible. Once you have drained most of the water from the 10, try to nudge the fish into a coffee mug. Then, cover it with your hand and set it into the container. When it's time to put the fish back into the tank, reverse the procedure, except that you could just tip the container and the fish back into the tank.

Plants: Crypts are ideal for a small tank, as they won't outgrow it, but some sags set along the back would make a nice background and also, not overwhelm the tank.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here